plate #7 structural drafting from PF

solo8591

Hi Remark i just got confused on plate #7 detail, how can i show the two bolts in that area can't have that much space to show the given bolt as it stated in the instruction which is 1 1/2 diameter bolt with the center of the bolts @8 " from owtside wall (which is the w12x152 ) or should i can show only one bolt like on #3 or #4 plate which i did and detail that . please respond .

Thanks

If you were to follow the directions as they are written your bolt would be in the wrong position. I've pointed this out to P-F but they ignored my email. So, I'd suggest that you draw a single bolt like on plate #3.

one more thing remark , i am working on it right now ,and try to scale it 4x the actual size (that what the instraction said ) this plate #7 it is way big in the paper space area to fit it in the 1/2"-1' scale to cover all what they asking for the detail it looks good in the model space but way big in the paper space . please help

Thanks .

You're using a paper space layout with viewports? Now I see what the problem is. P-F has their projects set up with everything being done is model space.

actualy all the detail are like that ,they are not much with what they ask. So i am trying to scale them down by 1/2 the actual size and go from there

I don't recall the instructions mentioning anything about paper space, viewports or annotative scaling. Maybe they finally changed them?

Not sure what you mean in post #8.

well if they asked you to scale it in the 1/2"-1' and use ur title block, that automaticaly means you have to show the scale in the paper space and your final work .are we agree on that .in the model space ther is no scale it just 1:1 .

Not exactly. Before the advent of paper space layouts and viewports it was not uncommon for "details" to be created in model space by making a copy of the specific geometry, pull it off to one side, trim away and/or delete whatever wasn't necessary then scale what was left by a factor of 1.5, 2 or whatever was required. The downside was when it came time to dimension the enlarged detail. AutoCAD would return values equal to the scale factor applied to create the detail. Some dimension that would have been 2'-0" might now be seen by AutoCAD as being 4'-0" (scale factor: 2).

I'm not understanding your scale reference of 1/2"-1'.

Yes remark that what they said in the instruction after u draw or copy and pest the actual drawing and make it larger 4x and ploted in the 1/2"-1' scale in the paper space and include title block too ,so when i do all this it is way big to keep it in that scale with what they ask to show in the detail section .

I will have to look at my copy of the instructions and see what it says.

Update.

Just as had originally thought. Nowhere in the instructions do the words "paper space", "layout" or "viewports" appear. The way P-F set this up was entirely in model space "old school" style. The scale they refer to is actually 1/2"=1'-0" (one half inch equals a foot). They basically did exactly as I outlined in my previous post.

Please confirm that you...

1) Drew everything in model space at FULL size

2) You are using a paper space layout and viewports

Edited by ReMark