Which One to Learn - Not Another VW v AutoCAD thread

Manic_d

Right Im still left with the conundrum of a topic I posted a while regarding which program to learn from scratch, Vectorworks or AutoCAD.

The replies to the last topic were to learn the program which was used the most in my area. After a bit of research I found that they are used equally as much. From a personal point of view I have always found Vectorworks quicker and more enjoyable to use when it came to drafting 2D plans. On the flip side, I have found from my limited experience, AutoCAD to be the harder program learn but always thought it would yield better drawings as a result - don’t ask my why.

So I’m not sure which one to go for - I suppose I need the pros and cons of both from experienced users please.:?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First, the light grey of your text is imo hard to read.

Second - you say learn from scratch; are you employed right now? is this a learn-by-yourself-at-night knid of project? Or are you deciding between two courses at school?

Sorry you were unable to read my text. In answer to your questions; I have graduated from university where I studied Interior Architecture, unfortunately when I was there I done all of my drafting by hand. I am currently in work just not in Architecture which is where I want to be. So I decided to spruce up my portfolio and part of the process in doing so is to transfer my plans from paper to computer and that means learning one of these applications typically at night when I finish work....................

Manic_d:

I would recommend AutoCAD or one of its related vertical products aimed specifically at architecture. You'll find more individuals and companies use AutoDesk products than any other product in the world.

Self-learning is fine but as CAD programs have evolved they have also become more complex. I'd suggest finding a course you can take either at university or online.

Thanks for the comments ReMark.

From what you have suggested I would be looking to do an online course as going back to university is not viable. I havent done a search yet for any online courses, would you be able to recommend me some good ones - How about the LYNDA.com online tutorials are they any good?

You're welcomed Manic_d.

I would recommend looking into the CAD Correspondence Institute. Their web address is http://www.thecci/com/.

Sorry, I am not familiar with LYNDA.com online tutorials. However, here's a site I would recommend:

http://www.we-r-here.com/cad.index.htm

...along with:

http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/AutoCAD_tips.html

I'm positive you'll get a couple more recommendations by day's end.

Manic_d:

My vote is for AutoCAD. Years ago, using other drawing programs, it was difficult to correspond via email.

Clients can't open a drawing if they don't have the same program you have.

Of course you could *.pdf the drawing however, i.e.: duPont requires the *.dwg file created in Autodesk's program(s).

AutoCAD is the most widely accepted CAD program.

Where are you located Manic_d? I will admit that I hear and see more VW users in Europe and of course with Apple Mac OS users since VW has versions for XP and OSX.

I guess the easy road is to shoot for the largest target user group, ACAD users.

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions I really apreciate it. I have one more question regarding the command line. Is it being phased out and is it benificial to learn?

I have no reason to believe the command line is being phased out. Maybe it will be one of those features that will still be supported but just not enabled by default in future releases. But keep in mind a lot of people still use keyboard input either out of habit or because it can be quicker in some instances. Some CAD users have put a lot of time and thought into modifying their acad.pgp file. I think they would hate to lose that functionality.

Is it beneficial to learn? My answer is a hearty and unqualified YES!

the command line will never be phased out, it will still be in autocad 2030, VW cannot compare to AutoCAD, Autodesk have pretty much dominated the drawing program area since they stepped their foot init, they have programs to suit every area that is required.

Well to be fair Ritch, VW is a good program I just feel faster with ACAD and prefer it. They have flavors for all disclipines much like AutoCAD. To each their own though. ;)

oh yeh f700es, definitly just comes down to what the person prefers using, everyone to their own as you quite said. :)

I am still like you, I do think Acad is faster.

Oh you can call me Sean