Reorganizing/Managing Tool Palettes

Mike_Taylor

So I have been given the task of maintaining our library/CAD Standards, Specs, Palettes etc. The company previously had a co-op stduent (who was very capable with CAD) setup all the blocks/palettes. I have been going through and cleaning everything up.

I started with the blocks themselves since those need the biggest makeover, and now I have moved on to the palettes. They were initially set up well enough, they have a spot on the network where they are saved and everyones tool palette file location is referenced to which is perfect. EXCEPT the location was not setup with the proper read/write configurations. There are TONS of additional palettes people have made when fiddling around in CAD, many of which have the same name as the palettes we use.

Like I had said the palettes are set up well enough and there are quite a few of them (30+ which we have organized into groups) so I would prefer to not have to export upon each update.

If I change my tool palette file location to a new path (make sure it is set as the top one) will all the tool palettes we currently have be saved to this location? Or will they over write the existing ones.

If they over write dows any one have any recommendations as to how this can be cleaned up?

Here's some tips,

Leave the first path in the AutoCAD > Options > Files > Tool palettes node pointed at the users local machine. By default, all the new palettes the users create will be stored here.

Add a second location to your network where your company palettes will be stored.

Lock the individual palette files - not the folders.

Create a copy of your company tool palettes somewhere else. edit these until you are happy with them, and then overwrite the ones on the server.

I hope that helps!

Paul

Thanks for the reply, I am going to change everyones palette folder to the local machine. We are still going to make the entire folder read only (works much better with the way our network is set up).