Moving 3d objects to touch face

danielk

typical AutoCAD....they make the simplest things insanely difficult.

all useful info tho :D. something i often have to do, so will try the above

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SEANT

• danielk

• ReMark

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

typical AutoCAD....they make the simplest things insanely difficult.

all useful info tho :D. something i often have to do, so will try the above

i agree with you so much, its such a common task in 3d and they never make it simple.

i agree with you so much, its such a common task in 3d and they never make it simple.

Actually Autodesk has a vertical product (Autodesk Inventor) that make this type of functionality quite trivial with Assembly Constraints.

does Inventor will be better for my job then autocad 3d? i design water system in 3d , im not designing parts i get them from manufactures or using symbol 3d shapes. i know inventor is more for designing parts. mechanical and others...

at this thread you can see image of what im designing:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?76817-How-to-render-a-region-without-the-background-.&referrerid=86588

let me know what you think ? by the way ,does inventor run faster then autocad 3d?

thanks (couldn't send you p.m. your inbox is full.)

Edited by danielk

i think my prob is the same or very similar so hope you don't mind if i post in this thread.

been drawing 2D at work. full-time for the last 6 years (electrical layouts), but now i'm in another job and 3D is much better.

many times i want to place an object where a line and the surface of a solid intersect (place a part against a wall).

i've got a few methods i use but none are ideal. any suggestions please?

1.pdf

• 6 months later...

I'm glad that the macros helped. They make life easier for me as well. I was sort of surprised that no one seemed interested. Thanks for your reply.

Another way to do it, is to combine the OSNAPZ and UCS > View commands. OSNAPZ will lock objects on the current XY plane relative to their existing location. This allows you to use the UCS > View option to reorient the drawing plane so you can use traditional drafting methods to achieve the same results.

Attached is a video:

http://screencast.com/t/HrEdGa0N

*EDIT*

I just realized this is an old thread. My apologies but I'll leave the post as it may be useful to someone else lurking the boards. :)

• 2 years later...

I updated the command macros - listed in Post #10 of this thread - to be more compatible with any setting of the OSNAPCOORD system variable.

OnlyX

.yz;non;@;

OnlyY

.xz;non;@;

OnlyZ

.xy;non;@;

OnlyXY

.z;non;@;