transparency/ opaque 2004

Guest Dan

I am new to 2004 and am trying to use the new features without much look! couls someone explain how the wipeout command works, i hav elloked under help - but it wasnt much>

I understand that AutoCAD 2004 has a transparency tool. I need to be able to make solid hatches and other hatches opaque or transparent - as can be done in photoshop under the layer, transparency tool. - Any ideas?? I appreciate you could use a dotted hatch but this does not give the desired effect.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• CADTutor

• Mr T

• hyposmurf

Heres how Ellen Finkelstein runs you through the wipeout command

To create a wipeout:

1. Select Draw > Wipeout from the AutoCAD main menu.

2. At the Specify first point or [Frames/Polyline] : prompt, specify the first point of a polygonal shape to cover existing objects. To use an existing polyline, right-click and choose Polyline. Then select the polyline and choose whether to erase the polyline. (The polyline must be closed, made up of line segments only

I understand that AutoCAD 2004 has a transparency tool. I need to be able to make solid hatches and other hatches opaque or transparent - as can be done in photoshop under the layer, transparency tool. - Any ideas??

Dan, sadly, you are misinformed. AutoCAD 2004 does not allow transparency/opacity control over objects (if only it did!!!). What is new to 2004 is the ability to make some of the palettes transparent. Even this isn't implemented consistently. The palette you really want to have transparency control over, the Properties palette, does not have this facility.

Opacity control of objects/layers in AutoCAD would be fantastic and would completely change the way it is used. Just imagine the possibilities for the presentation of complex design drawings. Unfortunately, that's all we can do at the moment... Imagine.

Dan, sadly, you are misinformed. AutoCAD 2004 does not allow transparency/opacity control over objects (if only it did!!!). What is new to 2004 is the ability to make some of the palettes transparent. Even this isn't implemented consistently. The palette you really want to have transparency control over, the Properties palette, does not have this facility.

Opacity control of objects/layers in AutoCAD would be fantastic and would completely change the way it is used. Just imagine the possibilities for the presentation of complex design drawings. Unfortunately, that's all we can do at the moment... Imagine.

I presume you know that you can have a transparent material applied to an object ? see a 3do orbit with transp. material here

:lol:

3dotrans.jpg

:lol: This can then be shown whilst editing live and visible as you

move an object in 3D orbit ?

:lol: I'll post up how to do this in Autocad2000i or greater if req'd.

I run win95 and have a Pii 266. As long as the model is small it's cool 8) .

Nick

I presume you know that you can have a transparent material applied to an object ? see a 3do orbit with transp. material here

Transparent materials are one thing, transparent objects - that's the holy grail. I doubt we are likely to see this sort of control in AutoCAD any time soon. :(

Transparent materials are one thing, transparent objects - that's the holy grail. I doubt we are likely to see this sort of control in AutoCAD any time soon. :(

My pic does show transparency. Also 2004 will show transparent objects when in SHADEMODE, inlcuding in 3do etc.

Nick

My pic does show transparency. Also 2004 will show transparent objects when in SHADEMODE, inlcuding in 3do etc.

Yes Nick, I know but that's not what Dan asked about. Read the top of this thread. Tell me you can control the transparency of hatches at any given percentage and I'll start to take notice.

You never know David, we finally got gradient fills. Maybe better items are to come....well, we can hope they are :)

I understand that AutoCAD 2004 has a transparency tool. I need to be able to make solid hatches and other hatches opaque or transparent - as can be done in photoshop under the layer, transparency tool. - Any ideas?? I appreciate you could use a dotted hatch but this does not give the desired effect. Thanks for any ideas you may have.

A solid hatch in 2004 within a viewport may not be transparent but within viewports in layouts you can have a transparent SHADED view. A solid shade with a transparent opaque tweak ?

Basically a hatch area, in 2D, is actually a region. Regions can be filled/rendered with a transparent material. Then add that material to a tool pallette and hey presto just drag n drop it on whatever area you wish to hatch !

I will double check the exact specific thread question tomorrow at my school Acad2004.

In the meantime if Express tools are installed try the SUPERHATCH

command.

Nick

I think this is what Dan wants to do....

getpicture.php?id=466732

If so I have no idea how to get Acad 2004 to do this in 2D. It would be nice but I don't think even plotting with screenings will replecate what I have done here in Illustrator.

I'd say that's exactly what Dan was hoping to do in AutoCAD 2004. MrT was just teasing us with the possibility that this might actually be possible using some little known trick. Sadly, as I stated earlier in this thread, it just can't be done. It is the sort of thing many people have wished AutoCAD could do for years. Perhaps I should be less pessimistic and suggest that maybe Autodesk have transparency on their list for AutoCAD 2006 but I doubt it. I think it would require another change to the DWG file format and Autodesk would be reluctant to do it again so soon after the new 2004 format.

I'd say that's exactly what Dan was hoping to do in AutoCAD 2004. MrT was just teasing us with the possibility that this might actually be possible using some little known trick. Sadly, as I stated earlier in this thread, it just can't be done. It is the sort of thing many people have wished AutoCAD could do for years. Perhaps I should be less pessimistic and suggest that maybe Autodesk have transparency on their list for AutoCAD 2006 but I doubt it. I think it would require another change to the DWG file format and Autodesk would be reluctant to do it again so soon after the new 2004 format.

I would this as well. Maybe thay can do it without a file format change, you never know. Those guys in California are pretty smart ;) Yeah, I've tried about every way I can think of for this and no go :(

Thanks for all your comments. The example that f700es showed was exactley what i was trying to do, looks like i will have to find a another way of presenting my work. Thanks again.

Thanks for all your comments. The example that f700es showed was exactley what i was trying to do, looks like i will have to find a another way of presenting my work. Thanks again.

Well...it's not a free solution but you can use Illustrator or for an even cheaper solution use Corel Draw to do this. Both will handle AutoCAD files (well somewhat..Illustrator does well but Corel needs some hand holding every now and then). Corel Draw can be had for cheap! Well the older versions can. I got Draw Classic v7 for $10 USD.

Here are 2 that can do what I showed...

http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/details.asp?productID=477

Corel Draw 8 for $24 USD not a bad deal!

or

http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/details.asp?productID=62

Corel Draw 9 for $35 USD.

There's also Serif DrawPlus 4. It is a free downloadable drawing program. It's not bad for the price ;)

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/serif/dp/dp4/index.asp

Don't think it will open dwg/dxf files but it can open wmf and that be good enough. Might be worth a look :)

Well good luck.

F7

Coreldraw rocks, I have used version 9 & 10

Thats not bad price for version 9. And any silly bugger can get the feel of it in no time. Well, i managed to, and thats saying something.

I do all my presentation layouts in it.

I am sure MrT will agree, he does all his web pages out of corel.

F7, the siloette, is that an autocad 2d symbol, or an illistrator file?

Also, i would love to see any of your presentations if you care to post.

Its great inspiration to see others presentation techniques.

G

Thats not bad price for version 9. And any silly bugger can get the feel of it in no time. Well, i managed to, and thats saying something.

G

Hello G, that is from AutoCAD ADT3 (2d object). ADT (Architectural Desktop) has 2d and 3d blocks. I have posted a few here and there. Sad thing is I have to post incomplete illustrations here as one would easily recognize who I work for and I cannot release much by confidentality agreement. We are pretty big here in the US and starting to grow around the world. Anyway, I will dig through my files and see what I come up with. Yes, Corel is a nice program. A lot can still be done with those older versions and done quite nicely I might add. Yes, it does help to see others work. You never know what new technique might inspire you :) Cheers G.

F7

• 2 weeks later...

G

Hello G, that is from AutoCAD ADT3 (2d object). ADT (Architectural Desktop) has 2d and 3d blocks. I have posted a few here and there. Sad thing is I have to post incomplete illustrations here as one would easily recognize who I work for and I cannot release much by confidentality agreement. We are pretty big here in the US and starting to grow around the world. Anyway, I will dig through my files and see what I come up with. Yes, Corel is a nice program. A lot can still be done with those older versions and done quite nicely I might add. Yes, it does help to see others work. You never know what new technique might inspire you :) Cheers G.

F7

Going off the original subject I know, but thats something I've wondered about before f700es .If you were to bring your work to another employer for interviews or for your own personal website,what do most members do?Do you take out your employers name,change the employers name so it appears illegable, leave it in or just dont bother bringing your work to intereviews?I know most employers have confidentiallity clauses in your contract of employement,but how else do you show another employer work?If you take company names and site adresses of the drawing it just doent look complete!

Going off the original subject I know, but thats something I've wondered about before f700es .If you were to bring your work to another employer for interviews or for your own personal website,what do most members do?Do you take out your employers name,change the employers name so it appears illegable, leave it in or just dont bother bringing your work to intereviews?I know most employers have confidentiallity clauses in your contract of employement,but how else do you show another employer work?If you take company names and site adresses of the drawing it just doent look complete!

I guess it depends on who you work for and if you have signed a non disclosure clause/contract. My job before this it would be easy as since it was a large university/hospital and in fact was a non for profit company so it was no problem in showing work I did there while interviewing for my current job. Now for this job I have signed contracts of non disclosure. This company is a publicly traded on the NYSE and I can disclose once information has become public. This company's has very well known trademarks so I would have to remove any such logos and such. Depends on who you work for. Any work items I have posted have been "cleaned" and one could not tell anyway.

Yeh sounds best just to play it safe and remove all the details.Suppose I could leave in the project name and drawing details.It would go down better I guess with a prospective emlpoyer if I had removed my present employers name off the drawings.