Hello, Very New to Revit need help specifying a plane

ahguter

Hello guys,

I am new to revit and trying to create a planar surface on this building I have been working on.

I want to build a roof type item that intersects with my with my curvy surface as seen in the image.

I was wondering how I can define a work plane that I can place a roof on.

Skyscapper.jpg

Also if one of you could help me bring the curvy lower surface together that would be great. I was unable to get the spline to close on itself so there is a gap in my structure.

I have tried attaching the file but I keep getting an error. If you would like the file I will continue to work on trying to fix this but for now I am taking suggestions.

Thanks guys.

Easiest method IMO would be to swap to a side view (say an elevation which would look perpendicular onto your roof). Then draw a Reference Plane at the angle you want to roof to slope. Select it and give it a descriptive name in the Properties Palette.

Swap back to your 3d View and click the Set Work Plane button - scroll through the list so you find the plane you just made. Continue drawing on that plane.

Easiest method IMO would be to swap to a side view (say an elevation which would look perpendicular onto your roof). Then draw a Reference Plane at the angle you want to roof to slope. Select it and give it a descriptive name in the Properties Palette.

Swap back to your 3d View and click the Set Work Plane button - scroll through the list so you find the plane you just made. Continue drawing on that plane.

Agreed.

-This is text needed to fill minimum text limit-

-A "Thanks" button would eliminate this text and post-

I have the work plane now, but what do you mean by sketch on it? I want to be able to place a roof type structure on it but it does not let me.

got it looking good now. very complicated to do in revit. maybe im just not used to it yet.

is there any type of trim command like in autocad to make the roof end where it intersects with the existing building? currently it extends into there but can not be seen in the picture

Nice.jpg

Glad you got it working. I agree with you that Revit is not a design tool meant for these shapes in buildings. It's not too easy with curved / slanted walls and the "organic" design. If such is needed I'd advise "designing" it in something like SketchUp (or even ACad, but there are better tools for that job). As long as you can import/link it as a mass then you can get Revit to place walls / roofs by face. I tend to see Revit as the later tool to use in these scenarios: i.e. when you want to compile your presentation and/or documentation use Revit. Only when the building is "simplistic" (read mostly rectangular / angled shapes) would I use Revit to model - just due to efficiency, not that it's impossible. Here's a quick tutorial on how to do such: http://www.revit-tutorials.net/ch_08/conceptual_design/using_imported_geometry.html

Is your building made of extrusions/blends/etc? If so you could copy-paste their internal sketches into a new void and then cut that from the roof.

BTW, the main idea of Revit is that you draw objects. Have you drawn the roof as an in-place family set to be a roof? If so you can add the void into that family and then it actually becomes part of the roof itself.

Revit works just fine for buildings of weird shapes. I've designed MASSIVE structures with curved walls, floating walls, curved storefronts, etc, etc. It's very easy, you only need to learn what tool does what. As soon as you learn your tools, Revit only feels hindered by its rendering capabilities. Though it can kick out some very nice renderings, other dedicated programs put it to shame.

Select the walls, then there's an option in the ribbon for "Attach/Detach", then select the roof. It will trim the walls where they intersect with the roof.

Revit works just fine for buildings of weird shapes.
Agreed. Once the tools are generally understand, and top that with year of experience, Revit is more than capable. I've seen some seriously ridiculous insane designs come from Revit (other guru's other than myself, of course).

I see, I probably took a convoluted path to getting this roof though. I began by making a mass in place object and it would not let me directly sketch on the reference plane. I had to choose a elevation view which gave me the reference plane at an angle which is not what I wanted. I then had to edit the in place mass in a 3d view and make it snap to the reference lines I had drawn on the reference plane. Maybe there was easier way to do this?

Also WHERE ARE THE REVIT KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS!! I feel very limited without my keyboard shortcuts like in AutoCAD.

Also WHERE ARE THE REVIT KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS!! I feel very limited without my keyboard shortcuts like in AutoCAD.
Revit main button (top left) / Options / User Interface / Keyboard Shrotcuts - Customize... With you on that: If I only had the ribbon to work with RVT would be a lot slower to draw in, same as acad would have been with only the ribbon / menu + toolbars.

Revit works just fine for buildings of weird shapes.
As long as it's not too weird: Try a wall curving in 2 axes. Never said it's impossible ... just not as efficient to draw as some other programs like SU / Rhino.