Plenums,Shoes and Walls

MarkT65

Hi Again

So I have taken a floor plan from work to practice the mep as I think this would benefit my company at the moment, I have started the ductwork but need to add plenums around the ceiling void edges and shoes where the round duct goes into square, I am having trouble finding these.

I also wanted to add some main walls but they are an odd shape and I only seem to be able to add straight ones, is there a way to draw around what i need and extrude it or raise it up to the slab height above?. I have attached the dwg image and a screen shot of what I have done, any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Mark

1st.jpg

Capture4.jpg

Plenums aren't really a category in AMEP. So, the best workaround is to simply utilize Duct as a plenum. Just make the duct size the same dimensions as is needed for the plenum, and add Endcaps on either end. This way you can still tap into the plenum as many times as necessary with other ductwork.

As for your walls.... I don't see any non-linear walls in the examples you've shown. I just may be going blind, I don't know. However, it's really easy to create non-linear walls in AMEP. Simply use arcs or polylines to "trace" over the curved wall. Then type WALLCONVERT at the command line and follow the prompt. It will allow you to pick any 2D linework and use that as a profile to create a curved Wall.

Now, if you're talking about levels, then I highly suggest you get familiar with the Project Navigator and set up your Levels and Constructs. This is how you leverage the power of multi-story buildings in AMEP and is a great tool.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you StykFacE, I will try that tonight, this is the first project the company has coordinated Ive been told but communication is not good so I am just trying to show them things can be clearer as in a model (picture is worth a thousand words). At the minute its just floor by floor but Im stuck in that I will be learning this in my own time so still unsure about this software or Revit, can you use revit in this way. I mean just do the 2d drawings, label them up and have the model for show, is it as good.

I dont mind putting in time at night and weekends but dont want to waste part of my life, revit has been mentioned by our biggest client but nothing concrete.

Thanks for your advice.

Mark

You will be doing yourself a huge favor by learning Revit. It's definitely the future of the building engineering and construction industry. However, learning AMEP is probably best for now.

AMEP stole a lot of its ingenuity from Revit. However, Revit is not AutoCAD, not in any way so it will be a culture shock once you open it up and start right in. Things are done so differently in Revit and requires an entirely new mindset. I love Revit and have basically given up AMEP but since I spent many years in AMEP I still remember a lot of it, so I don't mind continuing to help.

Any other questions you have along the way, just keep posting up. Me and a few others are really good at answering most AMEP questions. :)

Hi

I was teaching myself revit structure about 2009, when the arse fell out of construction in the uk, I was doing my HNC and got a trainee job at Buro Happold, 12 months later I was redundant and its been hard, but I carry on so I still remember it and still have the books, so as long as I can do in revit what I have done so far in amep I dont mind.

Thanks Again

Mark

Edited by MarkT65
dates wrong

Hi StykFacE, the wall convert only converted lines to walls but it converted each polyline to a wall so it didnt work, I found convert to mass element which worked a treat so I can create the walls now.

Mark