• ReMark

• D Mills

• f700es

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remark,

Post 75 is a great post. Thanks.

You're entirely welcomed. :) Unfortunately it highlights the fact that I am manipulating the UCS "old school" style and not using the Dynamic UCS which I hate.

Are you referring to post #71? The long arc?

No? Then you'll need to be more specific.

Yes? It is not a polyline but a portion of a circle that I trimmed.

Edited by ReMark

"I was trying to extrude around a square if that can be done."

ExtrudeAroundSquare.jpg

Yes, it can be done. In the image above a 1x1 square is created at the midpoint of a 12x12 square. After the UCS is reoriented the 1x1 square is rotated vertically then it is extruded. Command = EXTRUDE with PATH option.

ReMark:

Your examples are extremely helpful.

It has occurred to me that, at least in one instance, a huge difficulty I was experiencing was cause by a rather slight misunderstanding. I was under the impression that the UCS was simply "set." But now it appears that rather than being set it is manipulated and changed often to accommodate the object being drawn. I was following your examples last night and discovered how much easier it is to place things where I want them by moving the origin and redefining the x-y plane as often as necessary. I know this must sound trivial to you and the other experts, but it was a real point of confusion for me. In other words, am I correct that the UCS should not be viewed as a static entity that is set and left alone, but rather a dynamic variable that is manipulated perhaps more often than any other? Am I making sense?

You are a keen observer and a quick study not to mention 100% correct.

And 'no' it does not sound trivial to me. I'm glad to hear you found the examples helpful.

That's what we're here for.

Your kind words are appreciated. :)

So your telling me that not all lines drawn can be extrude or joined i'm still confused a little or do i need to moze the ucs every time i draw on a different elevation plane.

You are using AutoCAD 2006 so you do not have access to the PressPull command that can work on lines, arcs, polylines and splines and any combination thereof.

If you were to create a box comprised of individual lines and extruded it the end result would be four separate surfaces. The same box comprised of one continuous polyline or four lines/polylines that had been joined when extruded would yield a 3D solid.

I would recommend that any geometry you wish to extrude be done so based upon a closed (joined) profile otherwise you may not get the desired results.

It is to your advantage to change the orientation of your UCS when drawing in a different plane.

Due to your delayed response I am no longer certain as to what part of your drawing you are referring to. Can you refresh my memory?

Edited by ReMark
It's PRESSpull

You are using AutoCAD 2006 so you do not have access to the PushPull command ....

I think ReMark meant PressPull command, but that didn't come along till r2007.

Indeed I did JDM. It has been corrected.

Yes, I was pretty sure it came after 2006 but could not recall when exactly. Should have looked it up but I was in a bit of a rush.

[if you were to create a box comprised of individual lines and extruded it the end result would be four separate surfaces. The same box comprised of one continuous polyline or four lines/polylines that had been joined when extruded would yield a 3D solid.

I didn't realize this. It is another valuable little piece of information. Thanks man.

Take the same box comprised of four individual lines and use PRESSPULL to give it a height and you'll end up with a solid. 2006 lacks the command however. It also lacks SWEEP I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

What seems to be the problem? Is it that when extruded you end up with an extruded surface and not a solid?

I can't explain why that is but after exploding the profile and using the PEDIT command, Join option I could extrude the profile and get a 3D solid. See my next post.

Edited by ReMark