Visibility problem

MisterJingles

Hi all

Can someone help me out here? I have created a simple Dynamic block with 2 visibility states, when I open the block dwg (as attached) the vis states are there, but when I insert the block into an existing drawing (or even a brand new one) I don't have the option to changes the states.

However if I open the block in Block editor the states are there.

Any idea why its not showing in regular model space?

Thanks

Rob

12 Way DB.dwg

Not sure. :)

I always develop my blocks within another drawing and tehn WBLOCK them when I am happy.

Actually, just realised what you may have done. If you WBLOCK and select the object rather than selecting the block name from the list you can create a block within a block. Could that be it?

Sure was! Thanks Dave.

This is the tip of the iceberg stuff, I'm going to be going through all our standard blocks and seeing what we can simplify by using Dynamic blocks. So brace yourself for more questions :)

no problem - that's how I got to be so well versed in dynamic blocks!

We had a trainer come in and his demonstration of DBs was to show a visibility parameter on two objects that had no right to be grouped. Once I started playing with them I found out some great ways to simplify our standard blocks, and lots of ways to make them needlessly complicated too. Be careful that you don't go that one step too far.

Thanks I will be wary of that. Although my expertise (or lack thereof) may ensure that's not an issue :)

We have very simple blocks for everything we put into our buildings, many of which are not sized correctly.

But the biggest thing I'd like to sort out is in our pallettes we have individual blocks for each window, door, DB, etc, not to mention a top and a bottom option. I'd like to have 1 dynamic block for these which will resize and mirror (although I'm not sure how to stop the text mirroring) depending on the option selected.

check out the MIRRTEXT setting :thumbsup:

also in your DB editor check out the LIST option for distance parameters - that is assuming your windows and doors are in a range of standard sizes rather than made to fit.

I have MIRRTEXT set to allow text to be flipped correctly but when it did not mirror correctly within the block I assumed the setting didn't apply to Dynamic blocks.

I will double check that tomorrow as that will help me a lot.

Our windows are standard sizes yes so I will familiarize myself with the list option in the morning.8)

There is another way to ensure text is kept the right way up but MIRRTEXT is easier. I will check tomorrow how text works in DBs.

Take that back, I'm off sick tomorrow. I'll check next week if I remember.

My mistake, MIRRTEXT was set to 1. I had shown the command to a colleague a few days ago and obviously neglected to change it back.

:thumbsup:

I wanted to ask, if I use WIPEOUT within a DB am I asking for trouble? I find that WIPEOUT sometimes ignores my draw order and wouldn't like to be worrying about that within a DB.

Ok 2 questions.

Firstly, If I am using a simple FLIP action is there any way to make my basepoint flip along the same axis as my objects do? My objects are flipping but my basepoint doesn't move with the line to whose center point it was originally placed.

Secondly, is there a way to flip certain objects across the X axis and others along the Y axis using 1 action?

I have a block of an airconditioner which shows the isolator positioned to the left of the unit which is our standard. My problem is when when I flip the aircon unit the isolator now reflects on the right of the unit (if you are standing looking at the aircon). Is there any way to make the aircon flip along the X and the isolator on the Y in 1 action?

Ok 2 questions.

Firstly, If I am using a simple FLIP action is there any way to make my basepoint flip along the same axis as my objects do? My objects are flipping but my basepoint doesn't move with the line to whose center point it was originally placed.

Secondly, is there a way to flip certain objects across the X axis and others along the Y axis using 1 action?

I have a block of an airconditioner which shows the isolator positioned to the left of the unit which is our standard. My problem is when when I flip the aircon unit the isolator now reflects on the right of the unit (if you are standing looking at the aircon). Is there any way to make the aircon flip along the X and the isolator on the Y in 1 action?

1) This is possible, simply place your base point from the Authoring palette and include that in your desired flip action.

2) Also possible through a lookup.

See attached sample block for more information.

Flip X and Y.dwg

1) This is possible, simply place your base point from the Authoring palette and include that in your desired flip action.

I could have sworn I had selected the BP. Oh well, working now.

Will try get my head around the LOOKUP action, will post queries here if I dont come right.

Thanks