Acisin

RBPrice

What level of the ACIS file is acceptable to 2013?

And does anyone know of a coverter to change the ACIS level of a file so the wonderuos, up to the minute, top of the line, supercalifragilistic 2013, can import an ACIS file without being a pain in the butt?

Thanks

ACIS (*.sat) is now up to something over v18.

Autodesk was involved in a big lawsuit with Spatial several years ago and after that stopped using ACIS.

Autodesk products are limited to reading ACIS v7.

Search Google for free Hoops ACIS Viewer.

The location in the viewer to convert down to v7 file is not where you might expect it in the menu structure - so look around.

Edited by JD Mather

.... Not sure what the magic is but it seems to work.

What file format is the result? *.sat?

Open the original in Notepad - what version of ACIS does it say in first couple of lines?

Open the converted in Notepad - what version of ACIS does it say?

Well JD - I coinfess that I assumed it was .SAT since I invoked the ACISIN command to fetch it. And I assumed that it was V7 or lower because AutoCAD 2013 had no trouble opening it. But I also confess that I did not look at the file since it solved my problem of importing a 3D solid shoullder bolt from the McMaster-Carr folks.

RBP

I've had problems with a few of McMaster-Carr's .sat files. I do not believe it is the version, just thier method of converting, I have better luck downloading the STEP and opening with Inventor Fusion and saving as AutoCAD 2010 .dwg. MOST of thier .sat files work fine.

That has been my experience also but the cadexchanger thingy is quick and simple. I also discovered that the Carr-Lane folks specifically allow you to specify what flavor of .SAT you want to download.

Cheers