Light bleed 3DS Max - Mental Ray

james120479

I come across this every time I try and create architectural interiors and I can never work out why. My interior space is completely enclosed and solid (I have a material override on in the render setup), yet I still get light leaking through the corners of my room. I have a lighting setup using MR Daylight and a skylight. Here is a screenshot of a test render (which I would have thought would be completely black as there should be nowhere light can enter from the outside) and a screenshot of how my floor and ceiling intersect with my wall

light bleed render.jpg

light bleed screenshot.jpg

Does anyone know what causes this light bleed and how I might prevent it?

Thanks

James

Sample size

look for something like that in Mental Ray

I use Vray and i encountered the problem yesterday,

I fixed it today when i realized my light cache sample size was too small

it was set to .001

.006 is acceptable

.02 is default i believe.

Post your render settings

"Screen shot of render settings.."

• 4 months later...

Hey James. I think Raudel is correct - the problem is that your photons are being interpolated through your walls as some are hitting the roof, and some are hitting the walls. So a fix would be to set the maximum sampling radius in your GI settings to be smaller than the thickness of your walls.

Or if you have a scene and you don't want to mess with GI solution then make the walls a bit thicker.