Revit or Revit MEP

sajid

Our company is electro mechanical only. Mosty we are working simple villa,tower, markets. I am electrical draftsman yesterday some american give us a embassy project and they demand revit so our boss told to collect regarding revit .Plz give me following answer.

1-there are two revit which one i need to use ...revit genral or revit MEP.??

2-Revit is how much different from autocad ?

3-If any body expert from jeddah we will pay him for training you can contact us.

4-Is revit is usefull for electrical drawings like lighting and power etc .our work is only 2D not 3D...

-

Revit is night and day compared to AutoCad.

If you only do 2D drawings then I'd be arguing with 'the American' that you can do the work in AutoCad.

If you only do 2D drawings then I'd be arguing with 'the American' that you can do the work in AutoCad.
Then 'the American' might be looking for a different client to work with.

1-Revit "general" will contain the Architectural and Structural disciplines as well as the MEP. Revit MEP will only contain the MEP disciplines and any Arch/Struct work you need done, you have very limited tools for it if any. Personally, I much prefer the "general" version just for ease of use.

2-Two entirely different programs that achieve a similar end result. Don't use Revit thinking it's like AutoCAD and you'll learn it quicker.

3-Dunno where Jeddah is.

4-As to what you can use it for, that's up to you and your willingness to learn.

Some of those 'Americans' are requiring Revit for projects and not utilizing any of it's capabilities. Reviews and coordination are still being done on paper. The owners don't get the models. Architects stop asking for updated files. I guess the fact that they are done in Revit format gives the project some sort of extra something that makes it better even if at the end of the project, the use of the model stops at generating sheets. It's kind of sad, actually. (Vent over.)

1-Revit "general" will contain the Architectural and Structural disciplines as well as the MEP. Revit MEP will only contain the MEP disciplines and any Arch/Struct work you need done, you have very limited tools for it if any. Personally, I much prefer the "general" version just for ease of use.

2-Two entirely different programs that achieve a similar end result. Don't use Revit thinking it's like AutoCAD and you'll learn it quicker.

3-Dunno where Jeddah is.

4-As to what you can use it for, that's up to you and your willingness to learn.

From what I understand they have consolidated all disciplines of Revit into one suite for 2013 (MEP, Architectual and Structural). I was also under the understanding that they no longer offer the different disciplines for Revit 2013 and newer. Am i mistaken in this?

From what I understand they have consolidated all disciplines of Revit into one suite for 2013 (MEP, Architectual and Structural). I was also under the understanding that they no longer offer the different disciplines for Revit 2013 and newer. Am i mistaken in this?

That's correct, however the OP didn't specify a year version. I was merely answering his question of Revit vs Revit MEP.

http://usa.autodesk.com/revit/mep-engineering-software/

There are 2 products available for MEP engineering design:

-Autodesk Revit 2013, a comprehensive solution containing the functionality of Autodesk® Revit® Architecture 2013, Autodesk® Revit® MEP 2013, and Autodesk® Revit® Structure 2013 software, available in the Autodesk® Building Design Suite Premium and Ultimate editions.

-Autodesk Revit MEP 2013, a standalone application

They did consolidate all versions into one, however they still offer a 2013 Revit MEP standalone. It's probably cheaper.

Some of those 'Americans' are requiring Revit for projects and not utilizing any of it's capabilities. Reviews and coordination are still being done on paper. The owners don't get the models. Architects stop asking for updated files. I guess the fact that they are done in Revit format gives the project some sort of extra something that makes it better even if at the end of the project, the use of the model stops at generating sheets. It's kind of sad, actually. (Vent over.)

I've seen this happen with government infrastructure projects. Noting that a project has BIM capability (whether used or not) looks good on the powerpoint slides etc.

Talking to our AutoDesk reseller up here, he said the approximate price difference is about $800 Canadian (the MEP standalone being the cheaper). So not a big finaincial difference for what you are actually gaining.

• 2 weeks later...