Change dimension line length when text is outside / beside dimension

Of course you can. Explode the dimension and you can do anything you want with that line.

If you want to keep the functionality of the dimension, you have to accept some inflexibility. As far as I know, the basic code for dimensions hasn't changed since the 1980s, when a "color monitor" meant amber or green instead of white.

If you want it longer, just drag it out. If you want it shorter, it has a limit as to how close it can get, which is controlled by Arrow Size (DIMASZ) and Text Offset (DIMGAP). The portion that goes beyond the Text is controlled by Dim Line Extension (DIMDLE).

Thanks guys.

I guess what i really want to know is can i 'reduce the limit' on how close the text can get to the dimension, while keeping all it's other properties the same and without exploding it ;)

Thanks guys.

I guess what i really want to know is can i 'reduce the limit' on how close the text can get to the dimension, while keeping all it's other properties the same and without exploding it ;)

Have you tried the dimension style editor? You can pretty much manipulate any part of the dimension using that.

Thanks guys.

Post #3 are the only options.

• 3 years later...

Another work around would be to select "Move with Leader" when you hover over the text and put it close as you would like. The dimension line the extends beyond the extension is fixed.