• f700es

• jallenaz

• Glen1980

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Which is the most AutoCAD like? Or are they all very similar so when switching to AutoCAD there won't be another learning curve. Especially of the free software.

Which is the most AutoCAD like? Or are they all very similar so when switching to AutoCAD there won't be another learning curve. Especially of the free software.

Didn't we kind of answer this question in another thread? Anyway, this thread dates back a couple of years. Why revive it?

Last time I tried them DraftSight and NanoCAD seemed very LT like. Not a current version of LT but more like a 2008 release, pre ribbon that would be.

Things change over time. New software. AutoCAD changes.

So what? AutoCAD changes and everybody stands still? That's not how it works otherwise BricsCAD would still be back on version 1 not version 15. Same applies to most of the other better known clones like TurboCAD and IntelliCAD.

Personally I would not use any software that came from Russia or China.

What I'm looking for, and probably wasn't clear, is a clone to learn AutoCAD on. Not a cad program to take it's place. Something most like AutoCAD is now. TurboCAD and IntelliCAD sound like that is their objective. To be most like AutoCAD, but cheaper.

Are you a student? If so you can download the educational version and learn on it. ;)

No. I'm closer to retirement and the place I am working is hiring young people that have learned AutoCAD in college and that is what they want to use. I've been using DataCAD for 20 years and it's too hard for them to learn.:lol:

I don't trust it. That's my reason. It's also the same reason the head of our IT department gave me when I wanted to have our interns use Zwcad (conceived in China). She said there is plenty of good quality software created right here in America that we don't need to go overseas to buy software.

I guess I still haven't had my question answered. Why don't you trust it? And if I'm pressing too much, my apologies... just didn't know the actual reason behind a free software app made by humans in another country or continent.

I guess I still haven't had my question answered. Why don't you trust it? And if I'm pressing too much, my apologies... just didn't know the actual reason behind a free software app made by humans in another country or continent.

Maybe because they do things like make dog treats that have killed hundreds of dogs in this country.

Having read several articles on Chinese cyber-espionage put malicious code into a mainstream programme isn't beyond the realms of fantasy, although maybe a bit obvious (couldn't find a decent spy emoji!)