Two screens, two drawings, one AutoCAD session?

Philllip

I recently got two screens at my work. Is it possible to work with two drawings in one session of AutoCad? I want to have one drawing on each screen but i dont want to run two session of AutCad.

// Philip

I don't see why not as long as SDI is set to "0" which allows for multiple drawings to open in a single session of AutoCAD.

If your AutoCAD application is maximised on one screen you will first need to 'Restore Down' by clicking on the middle button in the top right hand corner and then manually resize the application window so that it fills both screens. Open the two drawings and 'Restore Down' by clicking the middle button in the top right hand corner of the graphics area. It is then just a matter of resizing the two drawing windows so that each fills one screen.

By doing this you loose a bit of real estate in the graphics area because of the drawing window's border and the blue bar at the top. The Ribbon / Menu Bar will be at the left hand side of the screen to the left and if you are working on the right screen on the right hand side of the drawing window it is a loooong way back over to the Menu Bar to access the menus. You could always work with tool-bars and position them in the centre, or even consider duplicating the tool-bars and having a copy in each screen area.

We work on every workstation with dual 24" monitors and most of the users have at some time tried working like this, but nobody has stayed with it. Let us know how you get on and how you like it.

If I am working on more than one drawing, I usually keep them on the same screen and use Ctrl+Tab to cycle through the drawings. My pallets and properties box are on the other screen. If I have a drawing(s) open that I am just using for reference, I will stretch the AutoCAD window and put the reference drawing(s) on my other screen.

I'd tend to agree with you on that ReMark, but what's the screen resolution of a 42" monitor? We are using 24" Samsung monitors with a 1920 x 1200 resolution and the graphic displays are fantastic. A 42" monitor with the same resolution would not be as sharp. Plus the fact that two 24" monitors are a lot cheaper than one 42" monitor ;) and I have to pay for them.

Those are good points Tyke. Plus I'd have to probably sit about two meters from the screen and use a wireless mouse and keyboard! LoL