Coordinate files

Raudel Solis

Can anyone provide a file commonly used by surveyors accepted by total stations to serve as an example of the storage/data management/writing structure of the file format.

Provide the location of the reference point marked by the city if possible.

This is for a project i have & if all goes well I'l share results after testing.

I had some of these types of coordinates used by surveyors with total stations but the cds are lost somewhere in the house /.\

I don't have access to such a file at the moment, but typically they look something like the following:

X, Y, Z, CODE, C, S, B, A

where x & y are the coordinates of the point and z is the elevation.

Code represents whatever feature is being picked up (e.g. the surveyor might enter the code 22 in the field before picking up the invert of a kerb, or he might use the code 7 before picking up a fence post etc; codes are obviously dependent upon how the company sets up there system). When uploading the data from teh total station card into the survey software the software libraries then recognise that code 22 means that points code should be IK (invert of kerb) etc.

C (1 or 0) represents whether the point is to be contourable or not. The surveyor might pick up the top of the sewer manhole as well as the invert of the manhole. You would only typically want the lid of the manhole to be contourable, not the invert (as otherwise this would cause an error in your natural surface when you create it later).

S represents whether a string should be started or stopped (1 to start, 0 to stop etc) - e.g you would start a string at the start of picking up a fence line so that the program will draw a string (polyline with elevations) between those points and then end the string when the fenceline ends.

B represents whether the string should be a breakline or not (important when creating the digital surface/contours).

A is to start or end an arc etc.

Obviously that is just one of many formats that could be used and it really depends upon the type of survey equipment being used and how the firm has setup their libraries and systems. You could just do X, Y & Z and it will capture the points fine although then back in the office the surveyor has to manually string together all the kerb lines, all the fence lines etc. Then decide which ones are to be breaklines. Then filter out which points should not be included in the contouring routine etc...

I don't have access to such a file at the moment, but typically they look something like the following:

X, Y, Z, CODE, C, S, B, A

where x & y are the coordinates of the point and z is the elevation.

Code represents whatever feature is being picked up (e.g. the surveyor might enter the code 22 in the field before picking up the invert of a kerb, or he might use the code 7 before picking up a fence post etc;

[.............................................................................]

etc...

By what you stated what i am going to make will require a file converting tool.

I'l have to write a script that will open a file read its contents and let the user specify what code to save in the event that his file uses a code to differentiate between objects :

X,Y,Z Code

but.. for my intention all i would need is

X, Y Code

-----if i were to use Z i would need an offset and the offset i create would vary by user height *hint

and be invalid due to user preference *hint------

where to me Code is the category "Pier, Corner, Radius point"

then from what i just researched this will be easy.

if there is a possibility of having points in an excel spreadsheet it will be even better.

If all goes well I'l shed some light on the subject

this is to speed up a lazy group of people.

I don't know how popular this will be but if Quantity A participate @ X price

where quantity A is the # of people who purchased and used @ price X= $0.99, 2,5,10 and will still look very attractive @ $100

300*.99=$297

300*2=600

300*5=1500

300*10=3000

300*100=30000

and the productivity cost is equal to (Worker's salary per hour*Average # of hours per job)

and the savings is equal to

(average number of hours saved per job*worker salary)

where Salary = $20-30

& # of hours per job = 80-160

& Hours saved per job = 10-20

so..

Cost before=

20*80=1600

20*160*3200

30*80=2400

30*160=4800

& savings =

10*20=200

10*30=300

20*20=400

20*30=600

& New cost =

20*70=1400

20*150=3000

30*60=1800

30*140=4200

So savings= $200-600 on the first job

& if the savings were averaged where

Average = (200+600)/2=400

then 400*# of jobs

where # of jobs per year = 10-20

then Average estimated savings =

400*10=4000

400*20=8000

Not to mention that the # of purchases is also affected by those companies who have teams where 1 team = 1 purchase

Though this raises a concern which will more than likely make them lazy & make NEW average Estimated Savings = Original Average estimated Savings (4000,8000) * (.6,.4)

where .6= a 40% decrease in "production, efficiency" and .4= a 60% decrease in "production, efficiency"

& New Savings =

4000*.6=2400

4000*.4=1600

8000*.6=4800

8000*.4=3200

:censored:

Guess they might get lazier :glare:

:lol:

this doesn't trouble me I'l proceed with the idea & see what comes out of it.

Thanks

I couldn't follow your accounting there although I doubt any piece of software someone writes is going to save 10 to 20 hours per job.

I couldn't follow your accounting there although I doubt any piece of software someone writes is going to save 10 to 20 hours per job.

field work

if it works out I'l send something your way

I doubt any piece of software someone writes is going to save 10 to 20 hours per job

Obviously your not talking about Autocad one project task manual about 20 mins after my lisp 35 seconds.

Obviously your not talking about Autocad one project task manual about 20 mins after my lisp 35 seconds.

That is an excellent example of how software changes everything.

The project is slow....

When i was ready to start i was setting up my google api permissions and found out the key API i was going to use was going to be "discontinued" for Adobe Air devs, it should gone by 2015

So Adobe Action Script 3 is out of the question, I'l Have to use Google's Java based SDK:facepalm:

I wish i had explored the android OS when it was in the early stages "froyo and back"