Floor Plan

KharizzaJeh

wow 1700es Got headache from all that reading. :o Think I will go inside the computer and see if I can find out exactly what is in there

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• welldriller

• f700es

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty sure the ATI Rage is a card and not an on-board adapter. Those were pretty good cards for their day (mid to late 90's).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage

After that just about any current video card will work better.

Wow if his card is from the 90's then that computer is oooold even a netbook would be an improvement maybe even dump the computer and use your smart phone with autocad ws.

First let tell 1700es that you are correct it is an ATI RANGE card that is plugged into the mother board

Ski_Me I bought it in 2006 (used) from a little shoip that has gone out of business now and had not worried about how old it was as long as it worked and yes it is oooold but than so am I. Just wish that I had the knowledge and wisdom that you and the rest on here have. I admire all of you.

Thank you for your help and advise -- hope it will keep coming when I need help as it has so far.

You could easily upgrade to a 64-bit laptop (maybe an Intel i5) with 6-8GB of RAM and a dedicated graphics card for less than $800 if you bought it off craigslist. You could then load DraftSight on the machine (for free) to further reduce your costs.

I agree with Remark, or buy a refurb desktop from Dell or NewEgg.com. It all depends on budget of course. I think a desktop would be better as it allows for more upgrade-ability to extend the life of the PC. Look for a desktop with the new AMD line of APUs that offer a good cpu with a built in gpu (yes I know, I preach against these). This will get one by till they can install a dedicated video card.

Good example:

Here is an Asus desktop from NewEgg.com. It is $423 for an AMD A8 cpu (quad core) @ 3.20 GHz, 4GB ram, 1TB HDD, ATi RadeonHD 7650D and Win8.

Add in a descent video card, 4GB nVidia GF GT630 for $75 and you are set for $500.

Of course add more ram as you can afford it. This is a basic system but night and day better than what you have currently.

Do you have any information on the 1GB of RAM installed in your present computer? Is it two 512MB sticks? How many slots for memory are on your motherboard? Two or four?

I've got extra sticks of RAM just lying around collecting dust. If one or more of them match what you have and there is room to install them you can have them for the cost of the postage to mail them to you.

Example: (1) Kingston 512MB DIMM PC2700 333MHz

In my opinion you should really have 2GB of RAM at a minimum in your system.

HP Computer MuseumIf indeed you have a HP Vectra.

I thought my home compouters were old!! Last

Hey, ReMark, I might could use a stick ot two of RAM for my old Dell PIII, I will check what I need when I get home tonight.

Most likely this....

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00060662&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=&prodSeriesId=32858&prodTypeId=12454

and if so do not upgrade. This has the dreaded Rambus memory with was utter crap and expensive. It also has a USB 1.1 interface which is outdated as well as AGP 4X video slot.

1GB of rambus is selling for $60 on Amazon while you can get 8GB of DDR3 for around $50 ;)

Buy another PC and donate this to GoodWill and get a tax write-off.

So much information and so little money to follow through. :(

1700es -> you hit the nail right on the head - it is the tall tower on the left in the picture VL800 MT

ReMark -> I will certainly look into your advise and thank you

My personal preference is a desk top a lap top is nice if traveling but the wife and I do not travel that much.

Wen we go some where it is usually to one our kids and they all have lap tops that I can use while there.

I will try to find the information that you asked for - but not sure how to find it. :?

Went back and reread 1700es pose #68 -- Sounds like the best way to go. Now all I have to do is save up my nickles and dimes also.

Edited by welldriller
after thought

As in Sir Sean Connery.

welldriller: I bet I can find you a desktop computer in El Paso right off of craigslist for $500. All you need is 1) the cash and 2) a friend who knows computers well enough to recognize a dog if he sees one. You buy with two conditions...the seller must adequately demonstrate that the computer does indeed boot up and that any software on it is legal (i.e. - duly registered and not pirated).

As in Sir Sean Connery.

That is who I was named after ;)

welldriller: I bet I can find you a desktop computer in El Paso right off of craigslist for $500. All you need is 1) the cash and 2) a friend who knows computers well enough to recognize a dog if he sees one. You buy with two conditions...the seller must adequately demonstrate that the computer does indeed boot up and that any software on it is legal (i.e. - duly registered and not pirated).

Good advice for sure.

WOW You are not only good but dog gone good but fast too. I was looking through my files and found this I will post it hopping that it will answer some of your question. I would look into the computer you found today except for the money just is not in the budget right now. Sorry to have put you to the trouble but THANK YOU

Can not upload the file exceeds the forums limit

Well my point is that with a minimum of sleuthing one can sometimes find bargains right in their own backyard. If you search just in your hometown area and find something of interest you can drive over and check the system out. If all goes well then you can make a deal and drive home with your purchase. Inside of 90 minutes you can have a computer. I bought my desktop system off of craigslist. Heck, I bought my laptop off of eBay. Got a good deal on both.

Well you could always buy the parts a little at a time and then assemble once you have them all but you will have to buy a full copy of windows. You might save a few $$ this way but you will need to be familiar and comfortable with assembling the parts and installing Windows.

f700es -> Bad eye sight - going to get new glasses after April 15 and my eye adjust to the cataract removal and lens implant.

ReMark -> Point taken and very good advise thank you Money is a problem though I had a cornea transplant in my left eye and the wife had a complete knee replacement and I go again in April for the above all of this within the last 7 months.

No I am not complaining it is just the way things happen. no regrets and not looking for pity of any kind.

I use pay pals bill me later service you can buy on credit and pay later you should look into it. We really need a hardware forum.