Floor Plan

KharizzaJeh

Pardon my ignorance but why do want walls on a floor plan ?

If I can get it to this forum take a look at what wall will do to the overall floor plan.

This is not solid wal --- just some thing to give you an idea of what you will loose

[ATTACH]40747[/ATTACH]

This is only the den. which is 13 feet x 12 feet 4 inches (I think)

Edited by welldriller
More information

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• welldriller

• f700es

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you talking about a floor framing plan or a floor layout plan? Park on a driveway, drive on a parkway, put walls on a floor plan. That's where everyone expects them to be.

ReMark, eldon, Dana W Please accept my apology for not making my self clear. You are 100% correct that the walls are necessary. If one of you have the time could you please look at the drawing I have a link to and maybe this will explain my mistake. Any way I do agree with you and understand what I did wrong. Can use all the help and advise given.

should the drawing units be in inches?

and about the walls, how will i make the thick lines,

Are you planning to draw a house plan intended for construction? Remember, your example is a sales flyer. Architectural plans do not look like your example quite as much as the untrained might think.

Yes, the units should be inches, precision no smaller than 1/16", and the length type can be either Architectural or Fractional depending on your needs.

The walls are not fat lines, they are two lines filled in, or hatched in with a solid color hatch. DO NOT draw real architectural plan views with filled in walls like that. Two parallel lines will suffice. Wall thickness and dimensioning methods vary widely, but a common practice is to dimension to the surface of the framing lumber, with no wall finishing material considered. Framing carpenters need to know exactly where the framing lumber gets nailed down. None of the other trades need to know within an inch where the walls are located. The framed walls will already be in place when the other trades arrive to hang their stuff on them.

ReMark, eldon, Dana W Please accept my apology for not making my self clear. You are 100% correct that the walls are necessary. If one of you have the time could you please look at the drawing I have a link to and maybe this will explain my mistake. Any way I do agree with you and understand what I did wrong. Can use all the help and advise given.
OK, I looked at your drawing. No wonder I misunderstood you. Floor plans are not drawn in isometric, and the wall framing never needs to be detailed out like that. a floor plan is basically a horizontal section of a building, cut at about 48" above the floor.

Dana W: Thank you for taking a look and getting back to me. It was my fault and should have know what was being asked for.

I do understand what you are saying should be done. I really have no business trying to help any one I am self taught in what little I know but love AUTOCAD a trying to do what the rest of you can do with your eyes closed. I did have a 1 year course for cad in the Dallas/Fort Wort area when I lived there. Most of that year was spent on board drafting, typing, and a math class only at the last did we get into the computer room. I love a challenge though. Will try to keep my fingers off the key board from now on.

Your drawing looks more like the start of a framing plan to me. Personally, if that's what I was going to draw I'd do it in 3D then extract the necessary 2D views from it.

"The walls are not fat lines, they are two lines filled in, or hatched in with a solid color hatch. DO NOT draw real architectural plan views with filled in walls like that."

At one time it was common practice to do just that. The technical term for it was poche' which simply meant "the blackening of walls to indicate their relative importance in the composition."

We used them (poche hatches) at the builder I worked for. A solid hatched wall indicated a load bearing wall, a crossed hatch indicated a plumbing wall and no hatch was just a normal 2x4 wall.

I learned the technique in an architectural drafting class which was all done on the board at that time. We had four projects in 12 weeks and each project consisted of several sheets.

Thank you ReMark for looking at my drawing and you are correct again that would be the framing not the floor plan

I thought that he was asking for the walls and did it all wrong. As far using 3D -- no can do with AUTOCADLT 2000.

I have looked at some of the free 3D cad programs and will get up enough nerve to try it some day.

Yes Sir it is -- I have down loaded it 3 times and on my computer I can get the courser to quit jumping

It is as if the snap & grid is turned on. I have turned both snap & grid off and it still does it. Ever one else seems to have no trouble with it.

I have down loaded NanoCad but have not had a chance to use it yet.

"The walls are not fat lines, they are two lines filled in, or hatched in with a solid color hatch. DO NOT draw real architectural plan views with filled in walls like that."

At one time it was common practice to do just that. The technical term for it was poche' which simply meant "the blackening of walls to indicate their relative importance in the composition."

Maybe we should take that word over to the "you know you're and old draughtsman when...." thread.:)

Poche'? I got yer poche' right here..... :lol:

Dana W: Thank you for taking a look and getting back to me. It was my fault and should have know what was being asked for.

I do understand what you are saying should be done. I really have no business trying to help any one I am self taught in what little I know but love AUTOCAD a trying to do what the rest of you can do with your eyes closed. I did have a 1 year course for cad in the Dallas/Fort Wort area when I lived there. Most of that year was spent on board drafting, typing, and a math class only at the last did we get into the computer room. I love a challenge though. Will try to keep my fingers off the key board from now on.

No, you can't do that. Put your fingers right back on that keyboard. Now.:P:lol:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, we used to poche' (chrome hates that word.) by masking off the walls and rubbing pencil charpener flotsam into the paper with a dry dishcloth.

I feel like I have to hold up a pinky when typing poche'.:roll: