PDF Stucco / Sand Hatch Weird

tennis4you

So in an effort to reduce PDF file size, I went to the dwg to pdf.pc3 plot driver and wen tot he custom properties. The dpi is set to:

I dropped the top number to 400 and the stucco hatch and AR-Sand hatch both print weird when we print to PDF. Some of the hatch is fine, some comes out too dark. It's pretty weird. If I leave the settings as the default then it prints perfectly fine.

Anyone know why those hatches might be affected by dropping the dpi? Everything else appears to print great and the file size is reduced.

Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tennis4you

• RobDraw

• SLW210

• ReMark

Have you tried using slightly different hatch scales?

Certain Hatches can be finicky in my experience.

Are you just looking at the PDF? Does it actual print the PDF correctly to physical printer?

Thanks for the quick reply!

So one of the hatches I am using that is turning out weird is a MicroStation Hatch that I had converted over. That one does not surprise me.

The one that shocks me is the AR-Sand standard AutoCAD hatch. I am putting it in as scale 3.0 and it is printing weird too. They both print weird when the PDF goes to the physical printer. So it views weird and prints weird.

Even if it just looked weird on the PDF that would be a problem because I provide clients with PDFs of their home and they want those PDFs to look sharp (as do I). :)

Can you post a portion of drawing with the problem hatch?

Do they print correctly if you go directly to paper from the .dwg?

We need more information than just the PDF.

What about when you print from the .dwg directly? It would really help to know that this an AutoCAD problem and not a PDF issue.

Actually I had not. I am just using the standard AutoCAD dwg to PDF.pc3 plot driver. I believe it is the only PDF plot driver I have.

AutoCAD and PDFs have not getten along very well for a long time. Since you rely heavily on exchanging and viewing your drawing electronically, I would highly recommend that you look into a different format like DXF for which AutoDesk offers a free viewer.

That being said, there are free PDF makers available that you could try. I've used and recommend Cute PDF.

AutoCAD and PDFs have not gotten along very well for a long time. Since you rely heavily on exchanging and viewing your drawing electronically, I would highly recommend that you look into a different format like DXF for which Autodesk offers a free viewer.

That being said, there are free PDF makers available that you could try. I've used and recommend Cute PDF.

I prefer PrimoPDF (I use this at home) slightly over CutePDF, but both are the best free PDF plotters, my boss uses AutoCAD 2005 and CutePDF and I had to work on some drawings with hatches for him once or twice. I believe hatches are just a Pain for PDF in general. I seldom see a difference from DWG to PDF.pc3 and Adobe PDF or the others on my 2011 AutoCAD.

But, as mentioned by RobDraw, DXF may be your best solution.

The stucco hatch looks good on your PDF.

I use to use CutePDF back in the day. I do a ton of batch plotting (Publishing?) and it does not like me as much (made me save every file when it tried to name it during the entire process). I found the DWG to PDF plotter and loved it.

My only issue with dwf is that I have hundreds of clients per year and I would have to tell them all to get the .dwf viewer and that would stink as everyone can already view a PDF. :(

Is there an Adobe PDF plot driver I can get somewhere to test it?

I can always just leave the dpi at 600, 400, 400 & 400 as that works fine. It is just when I drop it below 600 the hatch gets weird, everything else looks great.

My only issue with dwf is that I have hundreds of clients per year and I would have to tell them all to get the .dwf viewer and that would stink as everyone can already view a PDF. :(

Just because it's easy, doesn't mean it's best, just look at the time you have wasted fighting with PDFs. Aren't you doing your clients a disservice by not letting them know that there is a much better option?