Deploy with custom profile as default

ROCKHOPPER1

Our company is about to deply AutoCAD 2013. I really want to deply it with a custom profile as default instead on the Imperial one we normally get out of the box. I was asked to find out about this. However I will not be the one doing the deplyment. The profile is already created as I am using it now. When 2013 is used by the rest of the company I would like it to be their default profile instead of me setting up each workstation individually.

Thanks for your help,

Paul

This has been discussed multiple times but will do again based on our experience upgrdaing multiple pc's I am at home so some is a bit of a guess.

Start as normal using default profile on 1 box

Make all your changes to menu's etc

Config change the main menu customization path to a common directory eg \user\abc\ set all printers, support paths, temp directory etc Ps we have a lisp to do this

Create new profile and make current

Export profile this makes a ARG

Close Autocad USE EXIT not red X

Copy your desktop icon mouse click right button properties change the Target /p yourprofile

copy the cui etc to the new location and anything else in your config changes

Start using this icon should work we then set a individual user workspace so if they screw up something we can get it back

new pc now

Make all the directories etc you created in config

Copy your Cui to new location

copy the desktop Icon make /p changes

Start autocad as normal import your profile make current exit autocad

Click on new icon should work !!!!!

We cut the original desktop icon/s and paste into a directory so only 1 icon

We just found this method works

I have created the profile on my machine and exported it to a network location. Now I am trying to deploy AutoCAD 2013 on the network to about 50 users with the profile I have created. How/when do I do that?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
This has been discussed multiple times but will do again based on our experience upgrdaing multiple pc's I am at home so some is a bit of a guess.

Start as normal using default profile on 1 box

Make all your changes to menu's etc

Config change the main menu customization path to a common directory eg \user\abc\ set all printers, support paths, temp directory etc Ps we have a lisp to do this

Create new profile and make current

Export profile this makes a ARG

Close Autocad USE EXIT not red X

Copy your desktop icon mouse click right button properties change the Target /p yourprofile

copy the cui etc to the new location and anything else in your config changes

Start using this icon should work we then set a individual user workspace so if they screw up something we can get it back

new pc now

Make all the directories etc you created in config

Copy your Cui to new location

copy the desktop Icon make /p changes

Start autocad as normal import your profile make current exit autocad

Click on new icon should work !!!!!

We cut the original desktop icon/s and paste into a directory so only 1 icon

We just found this method works

I'm curious BIGAL, do you have to login as individual users to import the profile? - In the company I'm with the different group policies between the general users and my admin access seem to inhibit one install per PC working for all. I usually need to acquire the user's login details to set up CAD on a PC they haven't used before. I've solved some of the problems by installing login scripts on every PC that then point to a batch script on the network that I can update as necessary. Then I utilise the acad.lsp and acaddoc.lsp to get everything pointing to the right places.

Couldn't have done any of it without the cadtutor forums!:D

Each Pc keeps an individual system profile about the user from the opertaing system level say WIN 7 its a pain, if you set it up works great next guy logs in all gone. We load a new version under Admin then log the user in before making any changes set it up for the individual, because we have done this so many times if a Pc is changed we can have it working in a few minutes.

Have a look in \document & settings see all the users

Sounds more or less the same as I'm doing.

Do you tend to have one user always using the same PC? - I have issues of some hot desking where the users swap around PC's on availibility, so I find I have to remote in (different office locations) set up a new remote user on the PC so I can then amend the search paths to pick up the correct settings. I'm hoping to remove this scenario by getting my new deployment working better.

I think it was Dbroada was working on a hot fix method that runs a single DLL and sets everything up. It was only like last week or 2. You can certainly use lisp etc set up all your file paths but using an ARG/Profile is the way to go and importantly a new desktop icon that calls the correct profile. Its more about not being on the phone and asking the person you can not see "Is it plugged in" 4 times asked "I will check :oh yeah I plugged it in works now".

Out IT shadow us we just talk and watch the mouse move around.

Yeah, I know what you mean - "Can you log out, so I can remote on?" - "Ok, ready" - "I can't access your PC" - "Oh, do you want me to turn it on?" the worrying thing is most of these people are professionals!!:lol: