3D Images pixelated when printing.

mong0038

I also would like to switch to a 2D work space so that I can print. Right now, all 3D images get completely pixelated when I try to print from paper space. How do I create a work space that is 2D so that I can print easier? My co worker has AutoCAD architectural and she can print 3D drawings just fine using her 2D work space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a recurring issue and I am trying to get my company into drawing 3D more often, but this is a severe road block.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mong0038

• ReMark

• SLW210

• mikekmx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i always plot to PDF and then print from the PDF if i ever need a paper copy. 2D is always fine but my 3D drawings plot strangely to PDF sometimes (jagged lines). i found lowering the dpi in my PDF prog helped - set at 150dpi atm

the wierd thing is, occassionally they still come out messed up, and increasing the resolution often sorts it out.

i've never managed to plot anything 3D that you would consider 'presentation' quality.

the above is with PDF Factory Pro. i'm gonna try the inbuilt autocad pdf plotter when i get a chance, thinking it may work better.

I also print with a PDF creator, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. Like I had said, my co worker has no problem printing my 3D drawings because in her work space, when she is in paper space, she is able to change her work space to a pre set 2D work space. Then, the 3D drawings come out just fine every time using the same PDF creator that I use. What I was wondering is how do I change my work space to some sort of 2D work space so that my 3D drawings, in model space, that I am viewing through a view port in paper space, print out without looking like super mario.

I apologize if this is confusing, but I'm really stuck on this issue and have been for some time.

If you are printing from a layout there should be no need to change from a 3D workspace to a 2D workspace to obtain good printing results.

Attach a copy of one of your drawings to your next post.

Post an image of your Plot dialog box so we can see your settings.

I moved your posts to a new thread since your problem has nothing to do with switching workspaces.

New thread is 3D Images pixelated when printing. in AutoCAD Drawing Management & Output forum.

As stated by ReMark, please post a .dwg and some images of your plot dialog box (please expand it with arrow at the lower right next to the Help button).

Here are three images. The first is what my image is supposed to look like, the second is what it looks like when I try to pdf it, and the third is my plot dialog box, which was requested by another member. As you can see, the image gets horribly pixely when I try to pdf the drawing but my co worker, printing the same drawing using the same CutePDF Writer "printer", can print the image just fine because she can change her work space to some sort of "2D" work space. It doesn't appear to do anything until you print, because when we try to print in a normal work space the pixels happen.

It has nothing to do with the workspace you are plotting from.

And why are hijacking this thread when you have one of your own on the very same subject (i.e. - pixelated output)?

Sorry about the wrong thread, I really am a CAD newbie. I have never had any formal training in CAD and have learned everything I know through trial and error in the ten months I have now been at my company. Below is a link to three images, what the image looks like before I attempt to plot to pdf, after I plot to pdf and a screen shot of the plot screen as requested above.

https://plus.google.com/photos/111816601164739313362/albums/5860373400709472337/5860373401599159954?utm_source=bk&utm_medium=ha&utm_campaign=plusgeneralb2c&utm_term=%2Bgoogle%20%2Bplus&gclid=CNbv27-7n7YCFdOHMgodeDMAmw

Did you want me to attach an actual dwg file? I wasn't sure how to do that on this forum/if I can do that because of company rules.

I think it is a driver related problem or you have the DPI setting way too low. A higher setting usually results in better output.

I tried that, but when I turn dpi up or down it seems to have no effect, at least the dpi of my PDF creator, CutePDF Writer. What I was told is that my computer can't print a 3D image so I need to turn my work space to 2D, and that works for my co worker every time. So, is there a way to turn my paper space to 2D or something like that? Some way to make printing work better basically?

Your computer is fully capable of printing a 3D image. Whoever told you that is wrong.

CutePDF Writer requires a PS2PDF converter such as Ghostscript (GPL Ghostscript 8.15). Do you know if that was downloaded and installed on your computer? My guess is the answer to that question is "no". Call your IT department and have them look into it.

There is nothing wrong with your computer or Windows or AutoCAD.

Edited by ReMark

Workspaces only present you with a defined set of preferred/personalized tools and has NOTHING TO DO WITH PLOTTER OUTPUT.

Workspaces are sets of menus, toolbars, palettes, and ribbon control panels that are grouped and organized so that you can work in a custom, task-oriented drawing environment.

When you use a workspace, only the menus, toolbars, and palettes that are relevant to a task are displayed. In addition, a workspace may automatically display the ribbon, a special palette with task-specific control panels.

I think you are confusing workspace with PAPERSPACE.

Can you post your files to CADTutor. Use "Go Advanced" at lower right of reply box, then "Manage Attachments".

That does work, it gives me the 2D wire frame of the image basically. What would I need to upgrade or update on my computer to print a better quality image?

That does work, it gives me the 2D wire frame of the image basically. What would I need to upgrade or update on my computer to print a better quality image?

For the last time you do NOT need to upgrade your computer.

I did try using the built in PDF converter (DWG to PDF.pc3) so I thought I wouldn't need a ghost script. I assumed AutoCAD MEP 2013 has that set up. What happens, though, when I print draft is the 2D wire frame look instead of showing the filled in extruded shapes, and going beyond draft quality makes it pixelated. My co worker has the same computer as I do though and has no problem with a pixelated image when she prints 3D drawings to PDF.