2014 LT Issues!

Graeme

Just discovered 2014LT will not operate under Vista OS. XP -yes, W7-yes, but NOT Vista.

That has, shell we say, left me rather annoyed!

Autodesk officially announced Vista "is dead" in December to be effective January 1, 2013.Sorry you missed it.

It dorsn't mean it won't work, just that you are on your own.

Get Win7, lose Vista: you may not need a new PC anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Pendean - it won't work, end of! It checks the o/s and refuses to install.

ReMark - so, I upgrade to W8. At least 5 of my other programs then need upgrading, at a cost, just so I can accommodate AutoCad.

I could understand if they had phased out XP and Vista but why exclude the middle one?

I think you should not upgrade to Win8 at this time and stay with Win7. All of your programs should work just fine using Win7.

Vista was a dog from the beginning. I think AutoDesk was going with the proven track record re: XP and Win7. It was a command decision. I would have to agree with them as much as it pains you to hear it. However, you are free to try to make everything work but you'll get no help from AutoDesk which means you will have to rely heavily on forums such as CADTutor, the AutoDesk Discussion Forums or any of the other (less popular) forums that exist for AutoCAD users. Are you prepared to devote the time and the effort it will take to power through the problems you may encounter? If so then get to it. We'll give you as much assistance as we can. Let us know what you decide and good luck with whatever choice you make.

"but you'll get no help from AutoDesk" When did anyone?

I hadn't realised 2013LT was not supported on Vista but it seems to run ok. The problem with 2014 is that is is programmed not to start installing if Vista is detected. Emulating XP doesn't resolve the problem.

I'm having to go down the route of dual o/s inorder to keep my old software live under Vista. Two licences, two computers, two new os.

I wasn't aware that 2014 would not install if Vista was detected. Well that certainly threw a wrench in the works.

And your old software won't work in Win7?

You do know you can install two operating systems on one computer don't you? It's called "dual boot".

What exact message are you getting?

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit now?

I found no different documentation for 2014 running on Vista than 2013, though 2014 is supported for Win 8 and 2013 is not, no mention of 2014 not being ALLOWED to be loaded on Vista.

I agree with ReMark, your old software "should" run on Win 7 Pro/Ultimate for sure, not sure about any of the others. Win 7 is MUCH better than Vista. What is your old software and how much would it be to update? I

You could always stay with 2013.

AutoCAD 2014 System requirements

Note that Windows Vista is not supported by Autodesk for AutoCAD 2014. Autodesk to cease support of Windows Vista even though Microsoft changed their mind Autodesk didn’t follow.

There is nothing that restricts you from running AutoCAD 2014 on Windows Vista but you're on your own. Other than that if you already run AutoCAD 2013 your system will probably work the same or better.

As always with system requirements these are minimal requirements for AutoCAD to run. For professional usage you surely want to have much better hardware.

FlexNet version 11.11 for Autodesk Network License Manager.

Supported operating systems are:

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 32-bit and 64-bit

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 32-bit and 64-bit

Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit

Windows 8 32-bit and 64-bit

The above comes courtesy of JTB World. You can read the whole review about AutoCAD 2014 at www.jtbworld.com.

Instructions on how to dual boot Vista and XP (Vista loaded first) refer to this article:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

The procedure for a dual boot Vista and XP when XP is loaded first is slightly different. I believe a link to that article is included.

"but you'll get no help from AutoDesk" When did anyone?

I hadn't realised 2013LT was not supported on Vista but it seems to run ok. The problem with 2014 is that is is programmed not to start installing if Vista is detected. Emulating XP doesn't resolve the problem.

I'm having to go down the route of dual o/s inorder to keep my old software live under Vista. Two licences, two computers, two new os.

You might want to check out the following link http://www.longbowsoftware.com/Reviver.php. :)

Untitled-1.jpg

This is the screen image. Not sure how readable this is but it comes up with this message and then shuts down. The message says "You cannot install this product on the current operating system". And yes I'm 32 bit and the download is too.

I have been planning to dual boot with W7 - the disk arrived a few days ago.

And I need 2014 as I am an independent trainer.

pencil.png