How do you do detail sheets?

howitzer

How do you do detail sheets?

I do each detail as a separate drawing then x-ref each detail into a sheet file.

I see many people draw details in the sheet file.

For me, doing individual detail files makes redundancy easier as many details are generic and can easily be used from one project to the next. On occasions when there are slight project-specific changes, I still find it easier to take an individual file, make the changes, and save it under a new name.

I think your method makes the most sense in cases where the same detail(s) can be used over and over again based on the specifics of the job.

Individual detail files are easy to lose track of...over time...with a fading memory.

I've found it much easier to put all the details in a single details-only master file. Mods to any detail become a one-off that don't get lost, and it's way easier to find and compare the slight changes that have occured over time.

You'll attach just one file and vp into layout which ever one you need.

If you like the XREF method, you have to keep this in mind. Over time, details and standards change. After a project has been completed, you don't want the details on those sheets to change. They need to be inserted before any future changes take place just in case you need to refer back to that electronic version of the drawing after the project has gone out.

YMMV, but we often have minor changes in details from project to project. For instance, a downspout bend may be above a footing in one instance but below it in another. There's no way to use one master drawing for downspouts and xref that into every project.

We do have a library of master details. I insert one of them into a detail sheet as a block and make changes as needed. That way the master doesn't change if the project instance does.

Everyone else has good advice. What you should do depends on your situation.

What I have developed over the years is to have a master detail directory, but then copy whatever I need to a project-specific detail directory under the individual project directory. I even rename the detail name by adding the project number to the beginning of the file name. This allows me to make small project-specific changes as needed, keep the x-refs with the project for archival purposes, etc. It may defeat the purpose a little bit, but I feel it still gives me better overall flexibility.

You mentioned sheet and if that means you use SheetSet functionality then what I do is have details in a file or will group similar details in one file and create a named view for each one. Then add it on and sheet and a little code which just automates binding it to sheet but that way you can use callout blocks to update with view number and sheet number.