Getting an unknown scale into scale

GeorgeCF99

Hi,

I received a site plan for my house in an unknown scale. It is in 1'=100' scale printed on 24x36, but for some reason I cannot work with it in AutoCAD 2009. I'm trying to place my 1'=30' scale house on the site plan, but the house is ending up gigantic and not to scale. TutorCAD.dwg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GeorgeCF99

• rkent

• betterway

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scale it by 1/12 when inserting in site plan, typically the site plan will be drawn in feet while a floor plan is done in inches.

:?I'm not quite sure what you mean. The problem is, I have the attached drawing (in original post) in an unknown scale in autocad. I also have houseplan that is in 1/4" scale. I need to merge the two documents into a 1"=30' scale.

Usually I just convert the house outline to 1"=30' in Autocad and paste it into the site plan, but since the attached plan's scale isn't known, I cannot merge the two.

Hi,

I received a site plan for my house in an unknown scale. It is in 1'=100' scale.

No, it is 1"=100'

but since the attached plan's scale isn't known...

Sure it is - it is marked right on the drawing, and in any case it can always be checked even if not given (OK, I only checked one known line, I assume the rest of the drawing is to scale).

:?I'm not quite sure what you mean. The problem is, I have the attached drawing (in original post) in an unknown scale in autocad. I also have houseplan that is in 1/4" scale. I need to merge the two documents into a 1"=30' scale.

Usually I just convert the house outline to 1"=30' in Autocad and paste it into the site plan, but since the attached plan's scale isn't known, I cannot merge the two.

The drawing is drawn to full scale, the plot scale is 1"=100'. Post your house plan or just the outline.

Like, I said, I'm not sure what you mean when you say to scale it down 1/12. You may think I'm an idiot, but this drawing is the first I've encountered with this problem. Otherwise, I merge the two by using the method in my previous post.

In model view, if my house plan is in 1/4" scale, what do I need to do? Would my ratio be .0208333?

If you don't mind, try to walk me through it... since this is a beginner's section.

I'll post the house outline tomorrow when I get back to the office.

OK, couldn't be patient, so I came back to the office and got the house outline on the "House on Site" file. Still, when I use the measurement tool on the site plan "TudorCAD", it gives the correct measurement, but when I draw a line to a specific length that's on the drawing, it's much larger. Something still isn't quite right with the "TudorCAD" file from the beginning.

The "House on Site" file is actually in the correct scale and the measurements check out.

Where is this going wrong, and how do I fix it?House_on_Site.dwg

To prove my point, draw a line 284.57' on the site plan and see if it is the same length as the "284.57'" line on the site plan. IT ISN'T IN MY DRAWING. I know it says the scale is 1"=100' on the drawing, but that's only in the plot.

By using the -dwgunits command, I see that the drawing database units are inches,

as previously suggested by rkent.

Do the dimensions shown on the attachment seem to make sense to you?

drawing units are inches.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

Believe that all the above comments above are correct, so here is a breakdown to aid in visualizing the howto.

Take a look at the line between parcel 6 and 7, it is noted as 408.79 ft.

Type list at the command line, pick the line and see that its length is 408.79.

Type ddunits and you will see that the units are set at decimal.

Now go to your house drawing, type ddunits and the assumption here without seeing

the drawing is that you will find the units to be architectural with precision in inches not decimal.

Also check by listing a know length line in this drawing.

If the above is true then to insert the house it needs scaled down by a factor of 12,

then copy and paste it without the titleblock into the plan drawing.

Position it on the proper lot.

Then scale your titleblock that you created for 1"=30 ft. in the house drawing down by a factor of 12,

then copy and paste it into the plan drawing and position it around the correct lot.

I would not use the plan titleblock because its proportion is slightly different than a 24X36 drawing

Hope that helps. If you still have problems, you can post the house drawing.

The viewports in your layout are unlocked, which is bound to exacerbate any issues you may be experiencing.

When drawing a line in paperspace and comparing it to a line drawn in modelspace, you must of course take into account the scaling difference between the two environments.

In my attachment you will see a polyline which I have drawn in modelspace, and I think you will agree that everything seems to be as expected.

a line of 1000 units of length.jpg

Like, I said, I'm not sure what you mean when you say to scale it down 1/12. You may think I'm an idiot, but this drawing is the first I've encountered with this problem. Otherwise, I merge the two by using the method in my previous post.

In model view, if my house plan is in 1/4" scale, what do I need to do? Would my ratio be .0208333?

If you don't mind, try to walk me through it... since this is a beginner's section.

I'll post the house outline tomorrow when I get back to the office.

Open your site drawing, go to model space.

Use the insert command, point to your house plan,

in the insert dialog box there is a section for scale, set that to 1/12

pick ok and place your house in the proper location.

I understand that aspect, but it still isn't the problem. For instance, let's say I go to the plan with the problem - "TutorCAD". I draw a 50' line. It is nowhere close to being to scale with the other measured lines on that drawing.

The house outline is on the plan "House on Site." It is to scale. If I change it to decimals instead of inches, it still is in a totally different scale when I paste it in the "TutorCAD" plan - even when both are in 1" = 100'.

In TuturCAD you cannot draw a line 50 ft long but can draw a line 50 units long since the units are set at decimal instead of architectural

Thanks for all of your help, everyone! I've never dealt with a plan in decimal units rather than feet and inches. Wouldn't it make more sense just to do it in architectural for a seamless transition?

Not sure why surveyors use decimal feet instead of inches.

An alternate method that will leave you with a final product that you are more familiar with is to scale the original property drawing up by a factor of 12.

Change the units to Architectural with a precision in inches. Then simply insert your house and titleblock 1:1.

Now if you measure the distance of a line you will find that it matches the noted length !

Not sure why surveyors use decimal feet instead of inches.

An alternate method that will leave you with a final product that you are more familiar with is to scale the original property drawing up by a factor of 12.

Change the units to Architectural with a precision in inches. Then simply insert your house and titleblock 1:1.

Now if you measure the distance of a line you will find that it matches the noted length !

For those of us not in the Civil world, this is the "betterway".