When I paste from one file to the next my file dobble in size

SofieAske

I'm having a lot of problems with a set of drawings that are getting bigger and bigger. When I started working on them they where about 800kb - with no mayor changes the file has grown to 13000kb. They problem starts when I paste from one file into the next - even though is just one block or one line the file allmost dobble is size (as a test I tried in a earlier version of the file - when I pasted in one line the file grew from 800 to 2300kb) I'm working in Autocad 2012 in 2D. In the drawings where is about 3-4 x-refs, no layer filters, a lot of layers (all used), a lot of blocks and a few hatches. I've done purge, -purge, audit, copy/paste into new document, saved in earlier version.

Any good ideas out there?

Thx!

I -purged the regapps in one drawing but when I copy from that file into the next the file the size dobbles.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but some of the files has some proxy that I don't know what to do with it

Create a new version of the drawing using the following command.

–exporttoautocad

That will get rid of the proxy objects.

Hopefully getting rid of the proxy objects will solve the problem.

Another way to reduce the filesize is to wblock the entire drawing.

So just after doing the wblock the files goes down in size - ALOT down. But they go back up especially when I paste into the files (from the now smaller files) my biggest file is about 15000kb - it shouldn't be more than 500kb

Also the files seems to grow when ever i save them. I just tested it - if I just keep saving the files without making any changes the file increases with about 200kb each time

Are these drawings that you are copying from from another office? If so, it is possible that they weren't even created with AutoCAD. Some of those programs that do not have .dwg as not their native format do such a lousy job of converting that they create problems in AutoCAD. Solution is to be extra diligent cleaning up the files before copying from them. I might even go as far as creating a separate file with just the stuff that you need, clean the carp out of it, and insert it instead of using copy/paste.

-PURGE more than just Regapps, you should also -PURGE Empty text objects, Zero-length geometry and All. You should also look into OVERKILL Express Tool (Delete Duplicate Objects).

There are several threads on CADTutor on reducing file sizes.

Also the files seems to grow when ever i save them. I just tested it - if I just keep saving the files without making any changes the file increases with about 200kb each time

Save As rather than Save in your test to see if file grows.

• 2 years later...

you are most likely copying over a heap of linetypes or something like that which is associated with the object you are copying.

check how many linetypes you have in your drawing before you copy and then check how many there is after

if you copy/paste your object into a new cad drawing you should be able to see if theres any non standard linestypes, text styles etc etc

Almost certainly regapps, DGN linetype bloat and/or excess scales in the scale list.

ZIP up and post a DWG so someone here can take a look. Otherwise we are all guessing.