how to change distance between two objects?

vinchand

lets say i have two circles apart 1000mm now i need to adjust the distance to 700mm what should i do without deleting any one object?:unsure:

And just in case don't know, you should move it the 300mm exactly by typing in the distance rather than by eyeballing it on the grid or looking at the cursor output. If you have a reference that is exactly that distance, you can use osnaps. Just don't do things approximately in CAD. If you happen to need more help on this, it might help to post the DWG.

A simple procedure. Draw a line from the center of the first circle to the center of the second circle. Change the length of the line by -300 mm. Move the second circle, using the center grip, to the end of the line. Erase the line.

Of course there are several other ways.

If two circles all the time a lisp pick circle 1 pick circle 2 new distance moves 2nd circle automatically to new distance based on a line between the two centres. Lots of other combos like distance in X or Y axis only.

Me I would use the Cyberangel method only draw a new circle at length required then move circle to intersection point with line.

lets say i have two circles apart 1000mm now i need to adjust the distance to 700mm what should i do without deleting any one object?:unsure:

Did you want to do this using a lisp routine?

Could move one 300 to the other circle, or alternatively use move and move both 150 towards each toher, keep the distance between them 'equal', if that makes sense.

As this is the beginners forum I'm going to suggest the OP (and myself) doesn't know about parametric dimensions or lisp routines. Hit F1 and research the MOVE command

Move would be easy. So would a parametric dimension (did r2010 have parametric dimensions?).

Yep, introduced in R2010.

Have you solved the problem yet? You have been given excellent advise above.

I agree that he got lots of good help. I think he said so, as well as Thanks, in post #10.

i am a noob autocad user so i confused now i got the answer,thanks to everyone and your priceless time for the answer:)

• 5 years later...
On 10/8/2018 at 7:25 AM, Rose said:

Perhaps not, because I have 100 objects I wanna reduce spacing

It would help to have more information. Are these objects arbitrary types and sizes? Would they have to fit into a space of arbitrary size? Would they have to remain at their current sizes?

If size isn't important, you can use the Align or Scale command. If they're all the same size, you can redefine their size after scaling. If the horizontal and vertical scales won't change at the same ratio, that adds another degree of difficulty. This sounds like a topographical problem, and topography is hard.

First, I assume the distance you refer to is the separation distance and not the center point to center point distance.  It is not clear what other issues you must consider in moving the circles as there are an infinite number of solutions.  If the radii of the two circle are r1 and r2 respectively then create a circle of radius r1 + r2  + 700 concentric with one of the two circles and move the center of the other circle (using osnap nearest) to anywhere on this new circle.

On 10/8/2018 at 6:25 AM, Rose said:

Perhaps not, because I have 100 objects I wanna reduce spacing

Next time you have a question, please start a new thread. This thread is more than 5 years old.

Also, since you're using Civil 3D, you should post your questions in the Civil 3D section here: https://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forum/45-civil-3d-amp-ldd/

The original question was about moving circles. Are you also trying to move circles or some other type of objects? As mentioned previously, more information is needed.

• Like 1