3D Splitting and lofting of a metal plate

paisis123

Hello guys. I been requested by my company to start a bit in 3D work. (after 8 months of working here.)

Anyway, to sum up my problem, I will break it down for you so this issue can be resolved and allow others to learn from this post as well.

1. Summary on what I'm trying to do.

Basically we are trying to make a 3D plate (in this case a 2" thick piece of steel) and have a 3D hollow shape inside. Its split into Top and bottom, as shown as the below picture.

top View (plate 1).jpg

I have tried the loft command (which I just learned off within the past hour or so) and it indeed works. But I wish to use its as the opposite, where the middle is hollow and the rest is a solid object. 8)

Side View (plate 1).jpg

I have tried the loft command (which I just learned off within the past hour or so) and it indeed works. But for the life of me does not know how to get it as one big object with the middle shape hollow. Am i missing a step or is it another command completely? :unsure:

Also, once the object has been created, I want to split the object on its X axis mulitple times, almost like an exploded view. Each split will have its own set of top and bottom orifices which will represent multiple plates.

Is there a way to do that? Also is there a way to gain and separate the top and bottoms of these newly split plates? :?

Here is the drawing file as well to work on -> :geek: 3D-MK1.dwg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paisis123

• ReMark

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I seem to be getting an "Invalid Attachment" message no match of the three attachment links I access. What's up with that?

ehhh, WHAT!? But It was through the forum....thats not good. I will re attach them and see whats the big idea.....:o

Are you attempting to transition from a circle (basically) to a rectangle?

In a sense yes. Its just that I have very limited 3D experience (would love to learn) and have no idea how to go about doing what I want to do. I guess more research is in order.

Why the double line for the rectangle and a single one for the circle? Doesn't make sense.

Just view them as line up lines between the top and the bottom orifices. should clear things up abit.

BINGO! thats exactly what I have been trying to do.....but the inevitable question. How?

now imagine moulten plastic flowing through that, creating that C channel shape....

Though how did you get it to be hollow in the middle. I must be doing something wrong.....

WAIT, back up. I did it. I think. It was as simple as using the subtraction command. Well thats all great and all. Now to separate the plate into about 4 pieces like an exploded view.

Do you by chance have access to Autodesk Inventor? (more control of Lofted features)

No, and I will try to talk with my boss and my bosses boss about getting a company copy for this machine. It could be useful to get it and use it.

Though I have to ask many questions about what inventors capabilities are, cause there is some specific things I want to do and simulate.

The opening in your object does not appear to go all the way through it.

It may seem like that, but the opening is really small. About .050" to be exact, as per the thickness of extruded plastic.

Didn't I inquire about that feature yesterday? You're speaking of the gap between the lines of the rectangle-like shape right?

Didn't I inquire about that feature yesterday?

Yes you did.

You're speaking of the gap between the lines of the rectangle-like shape right?

Yes. Shall I provide a better picture or my DWG for a clearer understanding?

Shall I provide the DWG and/or a pic? Also, I have figured out to split the object using the SPLIT command. (Duh)

Though I lack the proper understanding of it to use it well...