AutoDesk MEP or Fabrication Cad Mep

Mech Designer

HI!

I work with HVAC Contractors by providing detailed shop drawings. I am still working with 2D drawings, but am finding that the industry is really driving me toward 3D.

At the moment, I am so confused on what to go with. More and more project specifications are requesting completed drawings in Revit format, but I have learned that I need to complete the actual detail drafting in another program such as AutoDesk MEP or Fabrication Cad-MEP.

I was wondering if someone can give me some advice on where I need to proceed. Please note that at the moment I know virtually nothing about 3D, so I am starting the learning process. I am very confused on where to start though.

Thanks for your help!

I use Revit MEP every day and it's hard to make it do what you need to for true "fabrication level" shop drawings. It can definitely give you acceptable drawings but certain things will be sacrificed.

You're in a tough spot right now. The reason being is that Autodesk recently bought up MAP Software who developed the CAD-MEP/DUCT/PIPE fabrication software. It's been rumored that Revit's getting all the ANSI and ASHRAE standard fittings but doesn't look like Revit 2014 has it yet.

What I would do, is purchase a suite that gives you both Revit and AutoCAD MEP packaged together. Link here: http://www.autodesk.com/suites/building-design-suite/included-software

The second option gives you AutoCAD MEP and Revit, and I've used AutoCAD MEP for years creating very good shop drawings all the years I worked in contracting. The price increase on the bundled suite isn't much higher than buying one of the programs solo. So when Revit finally gets what they need, you'll be all set if you're on Subscription.

Hope this helps you some. :)

*EDIT*

I will say this... if you can learn and use Revit as a contractor, you will be worth gold to your general contractor's and building owners in their project's BIM requirements. I can't express enough how in need Revit is on the contractor's side. Any contractor that is good with Revit has a firm grip on the market in their area - hands down.

*EDIT #2*

Here's a link to an old PDF I did using AutoCAD MEP as an example of the software's capabilities.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4989089/Images/M3-36_Chiller_Yard_Elevations_Details.pdf

And here's the 3D modeling pictures of the job:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?58145-3D-Mechanical-Chiller-Yard

It wasn't an HVAC job but a chilled water piping job but everything you see there was generated right off the 3D model. All the valves, fittings, etc... all out of the box content other than the equipment. But it made "2D linework" from the 3D models which looks good for shop drawings.

Again, hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your response. I am starting to hear that I need to go with Acad MEP and forget about the Fabrication Cad Mep. It sounds like I need to get up to speed on the Acad MEP and wait until Revit evolves better into doing what we need for detailing.

Thanks so much and very nice drawings by the way!

Personally, I wouldn't wait on Revit. AutoCAD MEP hasn't really been supported or updated by Autodesk in a long time. I have doubts on how long AutoCAD MEP will be around. Revit, I have no doubts whatsoever, that it will remain upgraded and supported continually for years to come. It's already been adopted as the #1 platform for BIM related jobs.

The reason I say this is because I'd hate for you to spend a few years "learning" AutoCAD MEP (and trust me, it'll take a while) just to realize you've wasted the last few years when they pull the product and Revit is the only one standing. Revit MEP is more than capable of making "shop drawings" but Revit is not a drafting tool. It will be very foreign to you at first and usually people transitioning from AutoCAD hate the program. But I'm informing you with all my knowledge, choose Revit.... by that I don't mean jump off the deep end, but find some way to use it. Start on very small jobs, and work your way up. Get training. Etc...

AutoCAD MEP is still AutoCAD at the core, so it'll make a lot more sense to you. Plus you can "draw" as you always have. The choice is yours, but I highly suggest looking into Revit. So, make sure you get the suite where Revit is packaged in.

:)