VIEWBASE Ghosts

43st

Has anyone experienced Viewbase views showing both the new modification AND the old one? I updated the model for a new bearing and the viewbase view now shows both the old allowance and the old one?!?! What's weird is that the solid is clearly the new profile, but viewbase shows both.

(my solution is to deselect the solid, select another one, and then reselect the perpetrator solid. It works but it is clunky.)

m6ZPnUb.png

Update view and Update all views does not work with this.. the weird part is that the "view" shows BOTH the old and new profile. So it remembers the old solid, even as it is showing the new solid.

It doesn't sound plausible but could there be both an original and a revised version of the model you are working with?

If you save and close the file, is this ghost still exist?

And does this ghost also appear if you print it?

If the answer for both questions is no, then I would suspect this is a graphic card issue...

It is there if I close and re-open the file (as well as boot/reboot the computer), and it exists on the print also. It is related to the viewbase view.

I've also noticed that if I rotate a viewbase view and then project it, it may break it's associativity.

If you save and close the file, is this ghost still exist?

And does this ghost also appear if you print it?

If the answer for both questions is no, then I would suspect this is a graphic card issue...

Is your SOLIDHIST variable set to 1 perhaps?

Try setting it to 0 if it is, and see if that might help.

Just putting one up from way downtown, and wondering

if this might relate to the SOLID HISTORY variable, in some unpublished way? :beer:

SOLIDHIST has been set to 0 since r14 I think (good thought however). :lol:

I have a workaround, so it's ok. I'm just trying to get more VIEWBASE chat going as there is basically nothing written about it online.

Nothing written about it online? Maybe your search engine is broken.:shock:

Maybe.. but everything I read online (Autodesk blogs, reviews, etc.) seem like talking points and that they don't actually use or understand the feature. The Lynn Alan stuff can be good on occasion, but she only has a few a year. The other Autodesk blogs seem more dedicated to 'where they go on vacation', or BBQ recipes, so pretty much worthless from a software usage perspective.

If I want opinions I might read a blog. If I want good, useful, information I do a search tied to "AutoDesk University". So, in your case, I searched on "AutoDesk University"+"base view" and found this handout from David Cohn.

Start on page 2 with "Creating Drawing Views". The nice thing about David's presentation is he also covers all the other options for creating 2D views from 3D models including Flatshot, SectionPlane, SolProf and the combo SolView/SolDraw. Everything in one package. Nice.

http://aucache.autodesk.com/au2011/sessions/4689/class_handouts/v1_AC4689_Cohn.pdf

It may have been defaulted to 0 since r14, but it is still a variable setting which could be changed, not to say that it should be.

As one given to probing the depths of the SYSVDLG beast, I have more changed settings than many.

I hope you are able to figure it out, please post back if you do.

I just browsed through the link ReMark posted, and while I plan to spend more time with it in the morning,

I didn't see anything dealing specifically with the problem you have described. :)

Yes, but it is just lines and text (maybe a few blocks and a dynamic block or 2, but nothing exotic). I don't think the format of that has changed much over the years and why would that effect a viewbase view?

Do you have a titleblock created in an earlier version of AutoCAD?

EDIT: Thanks for the PDF ReMark, I'll give it a look. At first glance it seems to be referencing AutoCad 2012, which introduced viewbase in an thoroughly unusable form. (you could work with only 1 solid per file because you could not select the objects before creating the view).

Yes, but it is just lines and text (maybe a few blocks and a dynamic block or 2, but nothing exotic). I don't think the format of that has changed much over the years and why would that effect a viewbase view?

I had similar problems with ghost images, exploding and rebuilding the titleblocks that were created in an earlier version, solved the ghosting.

Have you tried contacting Autodesk?

I had similar problems with ghost images, exploding and rebuilding the titleblocks that were created in an earlier version, solved the ghosting.

Have you tried contacting Autodesk?

Rebuilding a titleblock is a lot of work from something seemingly unrelated, and laying out a drawing without a title block (as a test) is not worth the time either. Especially since it's rebuilding it just for the sake of rebuilding it, and not to delete a known item that interferes with viewbase. I will keep it in mind however.

I have not contacted Autodesk.. my experience in the past with them has not been good.. Yes my computer is plugged in, yes I rebooted, etc.. (granted this was 10 years ago, but it was enough to learn my lesson.)

Edited by 43st