3d Orbit - Problems!

tobes_1983

I hate 3d orbit with a passion on autoCad / Revit. It is impossible to do detailed design work on a small scale because every time you need to pan around a corner junction for example the whole screen shifts and you lose what you were doing. I understand the way that the 3d orbit tool works is that it picks the pivot point according to the closest object to the cursor.

This however does not work at all well. It always picks the same point on the screen no matter where you are working or where the cursor is pointing. There are times when it does work, however the majority of the time it doesn't. This is where sketchUp is good - the orbit tool is excellent along with its perspective projection. It seems to intuitively pin point exactly where you wish to pivot. Unfortunately everything else about sketchup i hate.

Is there any way to get around this/adjust the settings/tell autoCad to get their arse in gear and sort it out???!! It makes life that little bit more stressful.

Thanks

Yeah thats works great, thanks. Its a bit annoying that when you come out of 3d orbit and you go back to orbitting again it resets itself back to the way it was. Anyway of fixing a point once it is set?

Sorry, i posted it twice by accident and it wasn't clear how i could delete it. I tried a few times and gave up.

Thanks for your help

I worked out how to do it.....but its slow! You can use the navigation wheel tool (NAVWHEEL) in ACAD 2009and drag the centre point onto the drawing wherever you like. From this you can then use the orbit tool on the wheel to orbit around this point. However ACAD will not remember this point! Everytime you go to orbit again it thinks the centre point is way off in the distance somewhere - hence you must follow the steps as described above each and every time . This is super-slow for modelling. My advice to Autodesk is: SORT IT OUT!

• 6 months later...

Hi! Try select the object you want to be the in center of 3D Orbit rotation first and then while it is selected choose 3d Orbit command. Should help.

I worked out how to do it.....but its slow! You can use the navigation wheel tool (NAVWHEEL) in ACAD 2009and drag the centre point onto the drawing wherever you like. From this you can then use the orbit tool on the wheel to orbit around this point. However ACAD will not remember this point! Everytime you go to orbit again it thinks the centre point is way off in the distance somewhere - hence you must follow the steps as described above each and every time . This is super-slow for modelling. My advice to Autodesk is: SORT IT OUT!

I remember reading in the update for 09 that this was corrected.

Do you have update 3/ sp3 for 2009 installed?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It is true, it also drove me a crazy, but found the way to solve it by switching perspective "on" after typing view.

It works in this way too.

I've registered in here just to share my experience with the ones who may suffer from this annoying thing. Autocad sometimes is getting really really a nerve-wracking fuc*ing thing.

Regards.