Desperately need help drawing/measuring 2d sprocket!!!!

Would this be right for the hidden lines of the smaller circle (side view)? Idk something about it just looks off to me, but I can't put my finger on it. Untitled.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neophoible

• KICK-ASS

• JD Mather

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... by using the "Prnt Scrn" key.

For future reference - we don't need to see the AutoCAD interface as we know what that looks like.

Go to the Windows globe icon in lower left corner of screen.

Start typing Snipping and you should see link to Windows Snipping tool come up.

Snipping.png

Use the Snipping tool to capture just the geometry portion of your screen to attach here.

I'm your hole should be two horizontal hidden lines in side view if it were a simple cylinder. No vertical hidden lines overtop of object lines.

If you had posted back on steps I would have shown you how to create as 3D and then AutoCAD would create your other views for you.

Actually, it has a 1/32 chamfer from outer to inner. But the no vertical over object really helped. Thanks.

Actually, it has a 1/32 chamfer from outer to inner. But the no vertical over object really helped. Thanks.
In case it wasn't clear, erase that outer blue rectangle. A double hidden line will usually indicate some sort of insert, sleeve or threads.

If you had posted back on steps I would have shown you how to create as 3D and then AutoCAD would create your other views for you.
That would certainly be a great way to do it, but he never clarified if he was allowed to do so in this case.

That sounds REALLY cool JD, idk if we can because we never learned how, so she doesn't expect us to ask. ( and why in the hell can't I change my profile pic? (to custom). It's getting on my nerves.)

K. Seriously confused on the side view. I fixed the upper hole (Thank you JD!), but the gear-looking center hole is seriously throwing me off. The main part of it that gets me is the chamfer on the inner teeth of the center hole. This is what I've done so far. Capture.jpg (again thx to JD for showing me the snipping tool, my pictures no longer look like complete crap.) :D

(again thx to JD for showing me the snipping tool, my pictures no longer look like complete crap.) :D
No, not complete.;) I can't really see what you've done, but, in general, you could look at it as simply dealing with teeth turned toward the inside.

However, when dealing with a drawing, it would be much better if you would just post the DWG file. In your particular case, it may not be essential, but you could get much better guidance if you did. If you do post the DWG, only those using a version of AutoCAD that uses the DWG format you save to will be able to call it up easily. But note that it is possible for you to save it to some earlier versions without losing information. I have to do that all the time.

In any case, blue is rather difficult to see, plus you are zoomed out a bit too far to see it clearly. If you want to post pics, then, before you go snipping, perhaps you could turn the side view so that it goes across the screen. Again, congrats on making so much progress.

Thanks. More specifically, because (not sure if you can see it in the picture of the actual tool) the inner teeth of the center hole are chamfered on all four sides of the front of each one, I'm not sure where, if any, I'm supposed to put the angled lines to represent the chamfers (as seen in the side view of the upper circle).

Thanks. More specifically, because (not sure if you can see it in the picture of the actual tool) the inner teeth of the center hole are chamfered on all four sides of the front of each one, I'm not sure where, if any, I'm supposed to put the angled lines to represent the chamfers (as seen in the side view of the upper circle).
Without being able to see what you've done (still no DWG), about all I can say is follow the general rule for sharp corners and top/btm quadrants.

Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately, my teacher told me that I was actually ahead of the class, which is the reason I had the sprocket, but finals were coming and I couldn't finish it on time so she said to forget it since it was extra work; However, I want to GREATLY thank you all for all of your help, even though it never was finished. I hope to keep in contact with most (or all) of you. Now, I just finished my Final, and since I never got to show you a finished product of any kind that included your tips (remembering things you guys said helped me sooo much on the final), attached is the Final for 9th Grade CAD Mechanical piece that was to be dimensioned, sketched, and put on the screen, and the finished product...I was the only person to get 100% :D :D :D :D :D

fotofriend_2767844.jpg

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

fotofriend_2767853edited.jpg

fotofriend_2767834.jpg

fotofriend_2767837.jpg

fotofriend_2767840.jpg

Unfortunately, my teacher told me that I was actually ahead of the class, which is the reason I had the sprocket, ...
Yeah, I suspected it was more than the usual.
Now, I just finished my Final, and since I never got to show you a finished product of any kind that included your tips (remembering things you guys said helped me sooo much on the final), attached is the Final for 9th Grade CAD Mechanical piece that was to be dimensioned, sketched, and put on the screen, and the finished product...I was the only person to get 100%
Congrats. Best post so far for being able to actually see what you've drawn. Still, without an actual DWG, the instructors here can't really pass you!
However, I want to GREATLY thank you all for all of your help, even though it never was finished. I hope to keep in contact with most (or all) of you.
You are welcome. If you are up to it, I would recommend finishing the extra credit you started, but doing it JD's way, that is, if JD is up to it. It wouldn't hurt to ask. You would stand to learn a whole lot, and you could even do it in Inventor.

Now, I just finished my Final, and since I never got to show you a finished product of any kind that included your tips (remembering things you guys said helped me sooo much on the final), attached is the Final for 9th Grade CAD Mechanical piece that was to be dimensioned, sketched, and put on the screen, and the finished product...I was the only person to get 100%
After looking at your exam, I'm thinking that it would be an interesting and informative exercise for you to do this in 3D, before tackling the sprocket. Perhaps you could enlist JD for that. Again, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

...I was the only person to get 100%..

Unfortunately it is not correct. (especially the hole).

I could have walked you through a very impressive sprocket solution in about an hour (maybe 20 back and forth posts) if you had been willing to follow along step-by-step (as I indicated). And I would have helped you do the elbow connector correctly.

Unfortunately it is not correct. (especially the hole).

I could have walked you through a very impressive sprocket solution in about an hour (maybe 20 back and forth posts) if you had been willing to follow along step-by-step (as I indicated). And I would have helped you do the elbow connector correctly.

I don't think enlisting our help during the final exam would have been proper. It would not have been in any classes I've taken or taught.

I was guessing that the hidden lines were not being counted as part of the grade. But that's one reason why I was thinking that learning to draw it 3D would be of great benefit, but only if he's really interested. I'm trying to think back, way back, to my own school days. I took Mechanical & Architectural Drawing my last 2 yrs, but barely scratched the surface. No threads, some isometric, barely any perspective. I think we did a small floor plan. The teacher knew a lot, but the level & grasp of the students was a bit on the low side. Still, it motivated me to learn more.

That's what I hope K-A feels after his 9th-grade course. Motivated to learn more. And this is a great place for it. He may be surprised at how much he doesn't know yet, but that's all part of it.

That's what I hope K-A feels after his 9th-grade course. Motivated to learn more. And this is a great place for it. He may be surprised at how much he doesn't know yet, but that's all part of it.

Doing pretty good for a 9th grade course, but was so close to doing really impressive work (for a 9th grader) with just a little more guidance.

Doing pretty good for a 9th grade course, but was so close to doing really impressive work (for a 9th grader) with just a little more guidance.
Yes, I entirely agree. Since he's got the knack for it, I would think he should really go for it and let you step him through it with the better tools. Why stay back with the rest of the pack if you don't need to? I wish I had had the availability of such opportunities way back when. But that's me. He will have to decide for himself what to do, but the opportunity is certainly here. I have noticed that he says he's online a lot, which would mean he could certainly do it if he wants. He could even soon be making good money at it, if he has the discipline.