Section cut display not showing from family

Keywordkid

I am attempting to learn Revit the hard way, preparing a parametric model (non building related - it's food!) for a BIM talk - demonstrating that almost anything can be BIM compliant (not my idea!).

Anyway fumbling through online tutorials and a reference book I have built some families that I am loading into a single family rather than a project, I have my parametrics working and now am looking at get the families emblished with data and appropriate display settings, here is where I am currently coming unstuck.

I have edited the materials of one of my base families to include a cut pattern for sections, this works fine in the display for that family but when I update the composed multiple family the individual part is not showing the cut pattern.

If anyone has a suggestion I'd be grateful.

The Family Editor is no place to be other than.... wait for it.... editing families. Load it all up in a Project, this is where your visibility controls will start working.

8)

The Family Editor is no place to be other than.... wait for it.... editing families. Load it all up in a Project, this is where your visibility controls will start working.

8)

Thanks StykeFacE,

I was hoping to compile indiviual elements into a single nested family and then use that compiled family in a project, is this a bad idea? - Do you think my complied family will show the cut pattern if I take it into a project? - I'll give it a try anyway:unsure:

Nesting Families is a great procedure to get involved in and can be very powerful. It'll make your life so much easier in the longrun. But there are caveats in doing so. Can you upload what you've done so far so I can take a look at it?

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to upload the file, it is rather large 50mb - probably due to my inexperience!

Make sure your sub-families are "Shared" in the Family Categories dialog. Then when your assembled is "Shared" as well, you will see all the nested data of the sub-families as well.

Thanks - I'll look into that.

I've just discovered purge unused so I'm trying to clean up my ever growing files :lol:

Within the family that is to be shared (ie- the sub-family or nested family), make sure this checkbox is checked.

Capture.JPG

I've tried Lee's suggestion and updated the family in the nested file but still no joy. However I discovered the 'Transfer Project Standards' option and this has had the desired effect after a little trial and error.

Thanks for the suggestions, it's good to get feedback when you're stuck.