3D Meshed surface from a extruded spline irregular shape.

Skyhigh

Hello All,

I am trying to create a 3D meshed surface from an irregular shaped solid I created using firstly a SPLINE, FILLET, PEDIT, and EXTRUDE. I have a solid in the basic shape now, but I am trying to create a meshed top and bottom (x, y, z,) to change the contours of those surfaces. Can anyone help in this regard? I have looked at 3DMesh but it asks for (n,M,) coordinates like it is a regular shaped surface (square, rectangle) where one can calculate the required even spacing needed.

My goal is to create in CAD something like a fine art carved piece of wood, with irregular shaping and no straight planes or surfaces.

I have included a basic picture in JPEG format for your review. This is the item from which I am trying in ACAD 2010 to construct into a usable adjustable form so I may parametric for my needs.

Thank you,

Sky....

Wood Top -01.jpg

Hi ReMark,

Thank you for a quick reply. What is Rhino? I thought that ACAD was the best program for doing this type of work.

Thank you,

Sky....

In my opinion AutoCAD is not the best program for working with meshes. BTW...you are not using the latest version of AutoCAD thus you do not have access to the somewhat improved mesh tools that are available anyway.

Rhino 5...

http://www.rhino3d.com/new

...a usable adjustable form so I may parametric for my needs...Sky....

Autodesk Inventor or SolidWorks.

You might also check out Fusion 360.

If you must use AutoCAD - Lofted surfaces and Slice with Surface to carve up the block.

To echo what was said before, I think with r2013 or higher you can do that. If this is an option for you if not another tool might be needed. Rhino 3D is a good pick but a similar pick but with less cost would be Moi3D. Moi3d will cost you $295 USD while Rhino will be around $995 USD. Both of these offer demos that you can play with to see if they suite your needs.

Unless you are a student an updated version of AutoCAD (2014) or Inventor will cost substantially more. Students can obtain free versions of these programs by visiting the AutoDesk Educational Community website.

Yeah, good point. As I have learned, if you can get it for free then do so.

Question on that. Say the OP modeled his part in AutoCAD 2014 Student Edition. He then exports the part as an STL or other format. Does current student edition still carry the water mark on prints? If so what about exports?

I thought someone here (JDM?) said there was a change regarding the watermark (actually called the Educational Banner) in 2014. I have no information on it at this time.

I thought someone here (JDM?) said there was a change regarding the watermark (actually called the Educational Banner) in 2014. I have no information on it at this time.

I recall something like that as well, which is why I asked about it.

Hi ReMark,

What I thought was, and I know ACAD can do (I have seen it done before), so I thought that if asked about the procedure, I would be able to get a basic answer to grasp the concepts on what was being said and that I could investigate the replies further myself. Sometimes a little push in the right direction is big help.

I have now been seen Rhino software, and I see that yes it is possible, but to learn another software package right now would be impossible time wise for me, so I have to do with what I have. Rhino can wait for another time when I am not so busy. However, that being said, I would like to thank you for your kind suggestion.

Sky....

Maybe JDM can elaborate on his previous advice regarding using AutoCAD. But he has the latest version whereas you (Skyhigh) do not unless you follow Mike's advice above and download the 30-day free trial. But what happens after the 30 days is up? Can you afford to upgrade?

• 3 weeks later...

Abput creating MESH shapes in AutoCAD you might be interested in watching some of my videos, for example my AU2012 class in:

Or about 3D Solids, all in Release 2014:

and

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thank you are for your help. Sorry I have not been around but I have had trouble getting into the forum.. I am stationed with my company in China and the Great Firewall of China is always a problem.. either that ot virus stuff downloaded with Chinese Adds.. that you close off and they download on you..

Anyway.. I am back again and ready to start over again with my project. Being in China for these next few months I have afforded myself a small CNC desktop cutter to try all this out as an experiment to build a tailpiece for my jazz guitar.. I appreciate all the help I have been given. I have now bought Rhino 5 and may even upgrade to AutoCAD 2013

and try that..

Thank you,

Sky

More to come on the CNC project.. and learning Rhino 5..