PDF Software for cad

wings

I am looking for a decent, inexpensive pdf converter for cad (ADT 2006 & AutoCAD 2013), and MS office software.

Now that I am on my own, I can't afford $300.00 or so for Bluebeam, which my last company had. I just need something basic that will load on to my system easily (interface with autocad upon completion of loading), and flawlessly convert .dwg files to .pdf files.

I am not looking for something that is so cheap it constantly gives pop-ups or leaves the companies website on the pdf's it creates.

Thanks.

P.S. This has probably come up before. I did do a quick search of the site but didn't find anything. Also, if this post should be moved somewhere else please do so, as this seemed to be the logical place for it.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wings

• Sesheron

• RobDraw

• the ber

I have used CutePDF for years and still do for Word documents. But for drawings I am now using Dwg TrueView which produces layered PDFs. The other advantage is that it can convert other drawings down to your version of AutoCAD :D

FreePDF (shbox.de) is pretty good, and it doesn't leave watermarks or anything. My favorite is DWGtoPDF in AutoCAD, don't know if it's included with 2009. DWG TrueView is free and excellent but it's also top heavy. No need to spend any money.

I have always just used the built in DWGtoPDF.pc3

Can this be opened by standard .pdf readers?

I found one that will do the trick. It will cost about 30.00, but will suit my needs.

Thanks for the responses.

Can this be opened by standard .pdf readers?

I found one that will do the trick. It will cost about 30.00, but will suit my needs.

Thanks for the responses.

Of course it can be opened by all PDF readers. That is the whole point of PDF.

It even keeps the layer information intact if you want it to.

It's free. Why would you need to pay for a feature built into autocad?

Of course it can be opened by all PDF readers. That is the whole point of PDF.

It even keeps the layer information intact if you want it to.

It's free. Why would you need to pay for a feature built into autocad?

Well until you mentioned it on this forum, I had never heard of anyone using it. That's why I ask. I've been using Cad since 1993, and no one has ever used that feature/ conversion/ command. This is probably because until now, I've always worked at companies with IT departments, and license agreements for all kinds of software. There has always been a 3rd party pdf converter where ever I've been.

Sounds like a classic "Bosses brother sells software licenses for a living" situations.

A google search of Dwg to PDF.pc3 turns up about 50/50 results on yay or nay, depending on whether you need transparency. But I think that issue is gone as a couple versions ago. It really looks like something a lot of people use and just never talk about, like the line command. Its there and hardly ever causes a problem.

Plus using the Dwg to PDF.pc3 allows pdf readers to use the search tool on all the text in the drawing.

MS Office also creates pdf by default, I think that feature has been built in since version 2007.

If you simply must go with a 3rd party plugin, go with cutepdf.

Sounds like a classic "Bosses brother sells software licenses for a living" situations.

A google search of Dwg to PDF.pc3 turns up about 50/50 results on yay or nay, depending on whether you need transparency. But I think that issue is gone as a couple versions ago. It really looks like something a lot of people use and just never talk about, like the line command. Its there and hardly ever causes a problem.

Plus using the Dwg to PDF.pc3 allows pdf readers to use the search tool on all the text in the drawing.

MS Office also creates pdf by default, I think that feature has been built in since version 2007.

If you simply must go with a 3rd party plugin, go with cutepdf.

I just don't think the people involved knew enough about the cad software. They assumed 3rd party was the way to go.

I did know someone who used cutepdf and all of her documents had the watermark "cutepdf" show up at the bottom.

It sounds like the right was to go. I've had problems with it in 2012. Perhaps I'm missing something. It will not rotate the paper properly, so I can get half my drawing or a much smaller version.

That's why I turned to PrimoPDF; however, I hesitate to recommend it. It is free, but if you don't download it from the right source, you could end up with a virus. I know of at least one person who did. Not fun.

It sounds like the right was to go. I've had problems with it in 2012. Perhaps I'm missing something. It will not rotate the paper properly, so I can get half my drawing or a much smaller version.

Never ran into that before. I took the time once to customize it to only show the drawing sizes I care about: ANSI B, ANSI C, Arch D, ANSI E.

They preview and print in landscape. I'm not one of those that hands out PDF's that are rotated 90 degrees vertical. Whenever I open one, the first thing I do is rotate it to be legible anyways. Adobe reader now can automatically adjust the rotation when you print anyways.

I've used CutePDF, PrimoPDF, Adobe Acrobat and Dwg to PDF, never had problems or watermarks. Everyone here at work on AutoCAD 2005 uses CutePDF or DWG TrueView with NO problems.

• 1 month later...

I am using autocad 2004 at the moment, and pc3 are not an option. Is there another way to make a pdf with this older version of cad?

I am using autocad 2004 at the moment, and pc3 are not an option. Is there another way to make a pdf with this older version of cad?

Use DWG Trueview. It is from Autodesk and it is free. A big advantage is that the PDF's will have layers that you can turn off and on using Adobe Reader. Plus, it's free.