Question about xrefs and 3d windows changing colors

Jessica28

I have 3d windows and walls in my xref drawing. I wanted everything grey so I went into my display manager and made everything grey. I then took this file and xrefed it into a working drawing...Now what is happening is that the windows in the working drawing keep changing colors to whatever layer color is current. I checked my display manager in the working drawing as well....Any ideas what is making this happen?

On what layer did you insert the xref?

I always created a layer "xref" and then inserted it on this layer.

Objects in the XREF file that are on layer "0" and color set to "ByLayer" will take on the color of the layer that the XREF is on.

Yes. But what is happening Is the window (which exists in the xref) changes color to whatever the current layer color is...The xref is on its own layer and stays on its own layer...I'll go to my "laymcur" command and select a fire alarm device lets say. The fire alarm device lives in the current drawing. not the xref. the fire alarm device layer is red...When I make that device my current layer the window turns red....

....so I went into my display manager and made everything grey.... .....I checked my display manager

For clarification, does "display manager" = "layer manager" or are you working with an AutoCAD vertical?

nesty. the display manager is one thing and the layer manager is another...I'm using AutoCAD Mep....And Robdraw..No, the windows are not on zero...They are on "aglaze" layer...And yes, this is very strange....I've never seen an object change color just because I make a different layer current....So whenever I plot I have to make a layer that is grey current so that the plot comes out with the correct pen weight...

and the color only changes if I do this in the current drawing. if I go to the xref drawing where the windows live and change layers, they stay the way they are supposed to...

nesty. the display manager is one thing and the layer manager is another...I'm using AutoCAD Mep...

That's what I thought. I'm very new to MEP, so doubt I'll be of any help, but I do think it's important to clarify that you're using MEP and "greying" the windows via the Display Manager... not the Layer Manager. Frankly, the Display Manager while very powerful, also makes my eyes glaze over.

I did mention that I was greying walls and windows via the display manager....That was in the original question....And no, I didn't mention I was using Mep 2013..I know i'm supposed to. Sorry about that...

If you could post a small sample drawing, and a sample xref that exhibits this behavior, I'd be happy to take a look. At least you'd know if the problem is drawing based, or software based.

I was having a little trouble uploading files..they are under a meg but maybe still to big? either way, heres a link to a dropbox account folder that they live in...If you change the layer your on in the drawing that has the xref inserted you should see the windows change color....You just have to do a regenall to see it happen...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g9x12099oggzbfz/2qLh0tAsgE

Very strange. Obviously, it shouldn't be doing that, but as a possible work-a-round, try right-clicking on the xref and override the display of the host drawing. Seems to work for preventing the color change, but I didn't experiment to see what affect it has on the different display styles

Xref Override.jpg

Edited by nestly

Yes, that does seem to work. But I also worry about what you said. How it will affect other stuff....Right off the bat I saw wall hatches pop back on

AutoCAD MEP can be confusing for a lot of people because it merges your traditional AutoCAD methods along with the way the vertical products handle AEC Objects, which is conglomerated on an Object or Style basis, which are managed by either the Style Manager and the Display Manager. It takes a lot of time to wrap your mind around these two new and robust managers, but once you begin to get it down then it'll all make sense, and you can begin to see the power of a vertical product.

....Right off the bat I saw wall hatches pop back on

OK, so we'll scratch that one off the list. I opened the drawing in AutoCAD 2013 and 2014 (not MEP) and the same happens, although the ACA/MEP Object Enablers are loaded. It does NOT occur in AutoCAD 2011-12, but I can't say if that's because of the version, or the lack of OE's. Merely changing the current layer should not change the display of existing objects, so I can't see this as anything other than a bug. Are you on Subscription, or have you sent a feedback report to Autodesk about this problem?

AutoCAD MEP can be confusing for a lot of people ....

Yeah, tell me about it. I really "should" be using MEP, but I haven't got enough time to learn it, and the prospect of trying to convert all my existing equipment into MVParts and all my fitting into (whatever MEP pipe fittings are) .... overwhelming.

I really "should" be using MEP, but I haven't got enough time to learn it...
#1 excuse right there.... lol.

...and the prospect of trying to convert all my existing equipment into MVParts and all my fitting into (whatever MEP pipe fittings are) .... overwhelming.
Start posting up questions then. We can definitely get you rolling very, very quickly. It doesn't have to be all 3D MvPart based, just use what you got and make it an AEC Object of any sort (2D Blocks or otherwise) and you're good to go.

What's good about AutoCAD MEP, is that it "is" AutoCAD, so the transition can be gradual, not like jumping from one platform to another (AutoCAD to Revit, for instance). Sure you'd have half AEC Objects and half normal content you've always used, but the mesh between these two AutoCAD types are seamless when it comes to final output (plotting/PDF/etc).

Just food for thought is all. 8)

I am on a subscription..And no, I never did send a report to autodesk..It really hasn't stopped me from working since and I've been able to put it on a layer that works for plotting but I am curious what they would say..I aalways try and come here first and am able to find my answers.....Just playing around I also skewed the main drawing to view how much was drawn in 3D and then created a few layers of different colors...When I do the same thing (change the layer that I'm on) I get the same result to all the walls and door...Everything changes color after I regenall..

.... I am curious what they would say..

They claim to always want feedback and input, so I think you should make a support request and link them to this topic so they have access to test the files for themselves.