HELP with .cad file?!

Nayfb

If the file was created by ProCut, most likely you will need ProCut to convert it.

It would however be interesting to see if another program that purportedly reads .CAD files could open the file created by Procut.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nayfb

• ReMark

• f700es

• PotGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, it's fine, I've spoken with my customer and he's sorting me the correct file type. It was simply out of interest as I am a user of autocad and new to the forum but wanting to stay here as you guys have been more than useful, was just out of interest for future preference if there was something other than autosketch I could use. Mr clairvoyant .... :D

Don't be silly, that would require some sort of common courtesy, of which none exists.

thanks again for your help, if i ever find a decent piece of software that can access .CAD files and is any good to work on, and/or a converting software for .CAD, because this has become more of a personal vendetta to find one now, i will post it up here.

Thanks all for your help with the matter.

:)

It would however be interesting to see if another program that purportedly reads .CAD files could open the file created by Procut.

AFAIK, if AutoSketch, QuickCAD or CadStd didn't open it, then only ProCut (maybe BobCad) would open it.

AFAIK, if AutoSketch, QuickCAD or CadStd didn't open it, then only ProCut (maybe BobCad) would open it.

I have been searching high and low and e-mailing various companies since starting this thread, and the only programs i have recieved back that can open the .cad files are Procut, and BobCAD.

So far no conversion software is avaliable.

ta :)

No, but I did think about installing an older version of Windows in a virtual machine to use the convertor I linked to earlier. I have another 3d convertor program that has .cad file in it's list.

The suspense is killing me. I have to ask. What program did you use? AutoSketch?

nah i've already tried AutoSketch and it wouldn't work :/....

By Gum d'you think he's done it??? :P lol

I'm sorry I missed this one earlier. Interesting discussion. I'd agree that most CAD users do not know even half of what the software is capable of, and I think this was true even twenty years ago, when the software was a lot simpler. Many get only very basic training, if any; do not consult Help for anything; and simply are not curious enough, or do not care enough, to learn more than they can simply get by with. Nothing new.

As far as someone not knowing that Save as might not have the only options, that Export might also have some options, well, that could be considered an advanced topic. You certainly don't need it to use the software. It's only if you have to share (not Share, that's a different option) it with someone else who is not using the same software package that that sort of thing comes up. We have always tried to avoid those sorts of people.:P

And it's only after reading this discussion and getting curious myself that I discovered AutoCAD's own DWG Converter.

I'll be very interested to read about the results of the conversion(s) being attempted here, as in my very limited and ancient experience with conversion software, we tended to end up with impractical results when going from one brand file format to another, that is, if a finished drawing was the goal. And if two steps were required....:rofl:

I'm sorry I missed this one earlier. Interesting discussion. I'd agree that most CAD users do not know even half of what the software is capable of, and I think this was true even twenty years ago, when the software was a lot simpler. Many get only very basic training, if any; do not consult Help for anything; and simply are not curious enough, or do not care enough, to learn more than they can simply get by with. Nothing new.

As far as someone not knowing that Save as might not have the only options, that Export might also have some options, well, that could be considered an advanced topic. You certainly don't need it to use the software. It's only if you have to share (not Share, that's a different option) it with someone else who is not using the same software package that that sort of thing comes up. We have always tried to avoid those sorts of people.:P

And it's only after reading this discussion and getting curious myself that I discovered AutoCAD's own DWG Converter.

I'll be very interested to read about the results of the conversion(s) being attempted here, as in my very limited and ancient experience with conversion software, we tended to end up with impractical results when going from one brand file format to another, that is, if a finished drawing was the goal. And if two steps were required....:rofl:

Hey, thanks for the contribution.

As regards to picking out a selection of customers who use the same program as one's self.... beggars can't be choosers and work is work at the end of the day. So i will do my best to accommodate all file types lol

But still no luck on the conversion of this file type, and the only known programs are QuickCAD, which is now impossible to acquire, and BobCAD.

Tar

Well my solution did not work but I am going to try something else as I hate getting beat as well :reallymad:

i know i hate it too, im sure between us we WILL find something... there has to be something out there!!!! :glare:

You can't find a copy of Drafix / QuickCAD.

You don't want to buy BobCAD.

It seems your only option is to tell your customer to export their drawings to the DWG or DXF file format.

I think you've beaten this horse to death.