HELP with .cad file?!

Nayfb

Hey, thanks for the contribution.

As regards to picking out a selection of customers who use the same program as one's self.... beggars can't be choosers and work is work at the end of the day. So i will do my best to accommodate all file types lol

But still no luck on the conversion of this file type, and the only known programs are QuickCAD, which is now impossible to acquire, and BobCAD.

Tar

You're welcome. That was tongue-in-cheek about avoiding customers, though we do try to get a DWG from them if at all possible. Most of our customers use AutoCAD, or don't produce anything CAD, so it's usually not a big issue. We have more problems with getting poorly done DWGs.

I'm grossly ignorant here, but that obviously hasn't stopped me yet. :shock: Is it possible that ProCut has some sort of batch capability for converting to DWG? Just a thought.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nayfb

• ReMark

• f700es

• PotGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well Remark already contacted the company that makes ProCut and they said that it indeed can export to dwg so it seems that the original people just don't want too.

Well I installed Oracle VirturalBox and installed XP and ran that AutoSketch program I linked too earlier and it did not work either :(

I'm guessing, from my research, that ProCut and BobCad .cad files have little or nothing to do with the QuickCAD .cad files.

I agree, other than the same file extension which honestly means nothing. Other files can have similar extensions and have nothing in common with each other.

Well Remark already contacted the company that makes ProCut and they said that it indeed can export to dwg so it seems that the original people just don't want too.(
You did notice that the OP said the customer is working on it, that he's just interested in other possibilities, right?

My comment was about whether there might be a converter included with ProCut that would handle several files without having to actually open any. It doesn't sound like anyone here has actually used ProCut, so that might be something for the OP to look into. From what I've read so far, it's not likely that the customer would know where to look, how to use it, etc.

The customer can contact...

Dave Ward

Procut Software Sales, Support & Training

Phone 0115 9210411

Office 0115 9391888

You did notice that the OP said the customer is working on it, that he's just interested in other possibilities, right?

My comment was about whether there might be a converter included with ProCut that would handle several files without having to actually open any. It doesn't sound like anyone here has actually used ProCut, so that might be something for the OP to look into. From what I've read so far, it's not likely that the customer would know where to look, how to use it, etc.

yes i doubt this will happen as i had to visit our customer to export the drawing myself into the correct file type .... useless, but as we've all said, ignorance as regards cad programs is unbelievable. People only want to know what that NEED to know, and the only reason i have 'beaten this horse to death; ;) is because im not one of those people and dont like being beaten by a file. LOL, but i suppose this thread needs coming to an end. It will forever be in the back of my mind and hopefully one day i will come across something.

If not i'll design and make a piece of software for it! lol

But thanks everyone for your help, i will be staying with this forum as you guys have been a tremendous help.

Bloody .cad files....

Thanks again. :D

Its good that you are sorted and have left evidence for the next person who encounters this problem.

The fact that we both found an earlier thread shows you are not alone so probably won't be the last.

Its good that you are sorted and have left evidence for the next person who encounters this problem.

The fact that we both found an earlier thread shows you are not alone so probably won't be the last.

thats the aim of the game mate, means the next person wont have to go through what we have to find out the same.

Nayf's the name, helpful threads are the game :)

ty

You might try some CNC laser and plasma, etc. forums. I am sure you wouldn't be the first to run across ProCut .cad files that need converted.

You might try some CNC laser and plasma, etc. forums. I am sure you wouldn't be the first to run across ProCut .cad files that need converted.

The only thing i can find on the net about the file type is on here :P

can you suggest any decent forums for this?

or are you not in that circle.

you think so ? lol ;)

An untrained driver can break a car, so applying that logic, after using the software they'll be covered in shrapnel and bits of computer! :shock:

• 1 year later...

Nayfb,

Did your customer ever export a workable format to you?

I read this entire thread and found much of it disappointing.

I use Drafix Cad 4.1 on Windows 8.1 currently. It started using the .cad format and I haven't changed it. It would be interesting to see how well its conversion to .dwg or .dxf formats convert. I also have the original disk if you need a copy.

Those on this forum who have slammed the users of these older programs are probably to young to know the history of that era. Bad mouthing others hardly solves the problems or creates understanding.

If you are still following this thread, let me know how things turned out.

PreserveThe2nd PreserveThe2nd@earthlink.net

Nayfb,

Did your customer ever export a workable format to you?

I read this entire thread and found much of it disappointing.

I use Drafix Cad 4.1 on Windows 8.1 currently. It started using the .cad format and I haven't changed it. It would be interesting to see how well its conversion to .dwg or .dxf formats convert. I also have the original disk if you need a copy.

Those on this forum who have slammed the users of these older programs are probably to young to know the history of that era. Bad mouthing others hardly solves the problems or creates understanding.

If you are still following this thread, let me know how things turned out.

PreserveThe2nd PreserveThe2nd@earthlink.net

Hi PreserveThe2nd,

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

How interesting, this means now we have BobCAD (which you have to pay for), QuickCAD (which is unattainable) and also DrafixCAD 4.1 which can use .cad files.

As far as i am aware the conversion of such .cad files in software that can use them is good, at least the files i finally received from my customer were.

I am now pursuing a different career, within the same industry of course, but no longer require the need to convert/export these files as other file types, but thank you so much for the offer!

If you open up a .cad file as a txt, you can see the code is binary. Obviously meaning one would probably have to write a plugin/importer for their software to be able to use these files, and as .cad files seem fairly uncommon i can see why companies are reluctant to do this and there aren't many of them about that do. (this is pure speculation)

Thanks for your input in the thread.