Autocad doesn't get on with this 1 drawing.....

mech

Hi Folks!

Im starting to look at a problem with 1 particular drawing I am working on, though to be honest i'm not sure where to begin.... It is nearly impossible to do anything to the drawing without having it crashing on me. On another machine it completely crashed the computer, leaving nothing but the blue Screen.... The file is only 3000 KB, has 2 xrefs and nothing much else complicated. There are some blocks in the drawing (about 100), and around 50 layouts.

The crashing doesn't happen at any command in particular, and I don't think it's the Computer as I have been working on other bigger files with more elements and not had anything (other than the usual)

Can there be something in the drawing that I can search for that makes AutoCAD Crash? Any tips at all would be much appreciated.... if I can't get it fixed then I'm going to have to redraw from scratch.....

Just in case my Computer Details:

Intel Core i5 -3570K CPU @3.40Ghz

16 GB RAM

64-Bit Windows

AutoCAD 2013 (Software fully up to date)

Cheers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotGuy

• mech

• RobDraw

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Either zip up the file and attach it to your next post or upload it to someplace like Dropbox where it can then be downloaded. Either way once you do someone here will take a look at it and perhaps figure out what is going on.

The problem could lie in the XREF files. Check for stand alone attributes (not associated with a block). Even just one of these little critters can cause huge problems. Make sure you have also audited the XREF files.

Morning (at least its morning where I am :))

I have started this morning by de-taching all the xrefs and doing a RECOVER - PURGE - AUDIT on everything, then I have put them back together..... Everything was going fine until the Autosave kicked in, then @ 60% it crashed again.....

A colleague is convinced that the problem lies somewhere within the blocks, and recommends I find and search through every block in the drawing to see if there is a block trapped within another block? Though to be honest I am not sure how this would cause such a Problem, anyone any idea if it could?

RobDraw can you tell me more about searching for Stand Alone Attributes???

GPU please!

Also, you can add your machine specs to your profile so you don't need to type it out. :)

Good point PotGuy, I have updated my profile :D

:D I think (Think being big word here!) that AutoCAD doesn't like blocks within blocks. While it's not always an issue it does seem to make files less 'stable' hence your issue; the bigger the drawing with blocks within blocks, the larger the chance of computer being computers. :(

I'm sure those more knowledgeable on here will prove me wrong, so yay either way, I'll learn! :lol:

Edited by PotGuy
Forgot what I was going to type

This Mornings developments....

I have found about 8 Blocks that were broken, These I have fixed and since then the drawing has only crashed on me once! I am now sorting through other blocks and have noticed something interesting; if I copy with a base Point on a block, even when I only have the 2D Layer on, CAD Needs about 30 seconds to carry out the copy. In the 30 seconds it appears as if its searching through something, I see a flickering timer...

Thought I would share that with you, in case it's important!!!

Hooray for progress!

Not sure about what's causing delay; could be file, could be certain items in drawing or could be sod's law!

I'm sure someone will be able to narrow down what's causing it.

Could be block you missed or didn't look at? Load any XREF's you're using individually each on a separate drawing and experiment with them with tasks that are causing the slow-down - are there any noticeable drops? If not, add each item one at a time until you identify any more nuisance blocks or items.

Edited by PotGuy

RobDraw can you tell me more about searching for Stand Alone Attributes???

The easiest way to find out if you have any is to select all and check your properties box list but in a troublesome drawing the select all process may cause AutoCAD to lag quite a bit. It won't hurt to try it though.

What are you seeing in these blocks that makes you think they are broken and how are you fixing them?

To narrow things down a bit. Detach all XREFs and see if the problem still exists. If it does, then the problem is in the base file. Bad blocks could be a cause. If the problem goes away, attach each XREF separately and test for the problem. One XREF at a time, detaching the previous one every time and when the problem starts again, you've found the troublesome file. Open it, find problem, and fix.

Yeah, sorry. I meant to give you partial credit for that but hit post before I did. The reason to attach each XREF rather than going into the actual files is because the problem may not show it's ugly head until the file is XREF'd.

RobDraw,

Here's a quick Image to show the "broken" Blocks

example.jpg

The Image on the left is the original 3D Block with the 3d part hidden. For whatever reason when I drop it into this drawing (and only this drawing) the "/" left and right on the 1,20m Dimension turn into some sort of a construction lines that run to the end of the drawing.... and possibly beyond.....

to fix this i have simply opened the block in block editer, exploded the dim and copied self made "/" into Position.

That is probably not a problem with the blocks and exploding dimensions is a workaround, not a fix. I would never recommend exploding a dimension in this situation. More than likely it's something to do with the arrow head settings in the dimension style or the block for that arrowhead if it is a custom one.

That being said you are probably not fixing the original issue. I can't see how that would cause the problems you were having. It obviously needs to be fixed, though. Whoever said that having blocks within blocks is a bad thing was totally mistaken. I've worked with thousands if not 10's of thousands of blocks that have other blocks in them. If properly constructed, they do not cause problems. If the problem lies in the blocks it is because of bad CAD, not because of nested blocks.