Graphics card

iainlines

I'll agree with Remark. How hard is it to read on the web site what is needed to run the software. I have ZERO respect for IT managers.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• iainlines

• Handiman

• PotGuy

I think too many people base their systems are what their current needs are without regard to any future considerations. Then they get upset when a year down the road the system starts to falter. I spec out my computer with the idea that it has to get me through a full four years before it will be replaced. Many users also fail to take into account what else besides Windows and AutoCAD will be running. I can have a spreadsheet, Word document, one or both of our main databases, a browser, Outlook, a CAD drawing viewer, and one or two other programs all running at the same time in addition to our mandatory anti-virus program and my computer doesn't miss a beat. Some people can't have more than two other programs running without seeing a performance hit.

Ok given that ReMark supects that something other than the video graphics is at play here I recommend a NVidia 650 card or higher. I never really had an issue with graphics problems while using autocad any version. Believe it or not AutoCAD is not that graphic intense you just need a really good math co-processor. If you are doing a lot of 3d stuff then you might want to consider a high-end card but even then it would just be for showing off your stuff and not really boost anything while your drawing. If your just drawing a line across a screen a screaming video card isn't going to help you. My guess would be that since he is using an onboard graphics chip that the power the board provides for the CPU is the same power the IC graphics chips is using, then you would have a performance hit because the CPU is starving for power which can slow down a system when you start introducing any kind of graphics even if it is just drawing lines. Spend no more than $200 for you video card maybe $220 but not much more than that and you should have a decent card that can keep up and even play a game or 2 at a solid fps of about 30 or 50.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'll be honest I have not checked this thread in a few days. ReMark, yes ok I would usually have maybe a couple of excel spreadsheets, a browser and anti virus software running. Not quite sure why I said nothing was. Sorry

• 3 weeks later...

A moped will get you from point A to point B.

But what happens when it is raining?

What happens if you were to get hit?

Is your round trip 2 miles or 20 miles?

Is it 100 degrees when you travel or 70?

When you buy a vechicle you have to look at what it is used for.

When you buy a work station you have to look at the work to be performed.

I feel that Autodesk does give you the minimum specs to run the software and do work with small drawings, but not at the level I would expect you would call it a "work station".

The minimum is not for use with 10mb drawings. I do simple stair handrails with brackets and I easily surpass 10mb drawings, most are 25mb+. and my work cpu is slow and will crash once or twice a day. I have always sent in the report to Autodesk and never received a reply until the other day when they told me they "Do not have a solution to my problems but did notice that SP2 was not installed and recomended that I install it" So I did the install. Not any help.

If you are crashing your computer once or twice a day using AutoCAD then that is a serious problem. That kind of performance is unacceptable and getting to the root cause should be a priority. Without further details though I can only make wild guesses as to what might be happening.

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I usually have zoomed in and out, as I move around to different parts of the page.

Before it shuts down it does start getting extremely long between selecting commands so I have learned when it is starting and I do a save.

The save for a 8mb file is 20-25 seconds. I thought it might be a network issue so I put the file directly on my computer and it does help but only by a couple of seconds.

So I feel like it is this CPU.

I use the same file on my home CPU and it is fast and never has crashed.

These times are true as I have timed them while I wait.

I have been trying different CAD software settings and nothing has had much effect. I plan on sitting down with a program and running thought settings and document differences in the settings and what has been tried. As of now I read about something, check the settings and make adjustment to see if it much better.

I have now tried so many things.

When things start to slow down do you notice a lot of hard drive activity? I think it is called "churning"?

What things have you tried so far? No sense repeating them.

How is it that you file sizes are so huge? 8-25MB+ for a drawing (I'm assuming it is 2D) of stair handrails and brackets? I've got some complex 3D drawings that don't even come close to that in file size.

I will try and upload tonight so you can look it over.

These are manufacturing drawings so there is a lot of details and dimensions.

But I have been doing these for a couple of years and they have always been this large.

These are done in AutoCAD 2013 Mechanical 2D,

If you want send me a message with a e-mail and I will send straight to you.

Consider it done.

The largest 3D drawing I've ever worked on maxed out at 38MB. It was for a three level piece of equipment with all the steel supports, stairs, railings, grating, pipes, motors, pumps and instrumentation.

Yes.

The OP shared a typical drawing with me. I took a look at it, ran the -Purge and Audit commands (more than once) then I ran the Overkill command. While this did clean up the database it had only a marginal affect on the overall size of the drawing although I do believe there are a couple more steps that could be taken to possibly reduce the file size. Hopefully the cleaned up drawing will be less prone to crashing but only the OP can tell us for sure. I plan on taking another look at the drawing later today when I have some free time.

I am working from home today and there usually isn't a problem here.

So tomorrow when I am at the office I will give it all day before I make a judgment.

Thanks for the assistance ReMark.

Update, the CPU at work has functioned well while using the same file as before after I ran the Overkill, Purge, Purge Audit and cleaning up some floating points.

It seems to run a little faster and it has NOT crashed in the last 2 days. That is a blessing by it self. And it hasn't really had any hang-up where it just thinks about doing a task.

It has been very good.

Now I just need to look for the source of the causes. If it is in the base file or if it is created by my co-worker in Florida.

I believe the floater came from her work as the rail saddles were from a previous drawing. We do not use that saddle any more.

Thanks for your help, I now have to check out the commands more.