Subtract?

Chronos69

Is there a subtract tool, similar to modelling in Autocad?

I have a box and need to create 6 "holes"

I was looking to use boolean - cut and refine but the box started to look very messy after I created a few.

Is Boolean the way forward or is there a better method?

Cheers

Dave

Yes, boolean or pro-boolean is what you would use for subtracting one object from another. The problem though is the boolean operations usually leave a messy result, so there's typically a lot of cleanup work to be done.

Cheers CAD64. Can Boolean/Pro-Boolean subtract any objects from other objects? I struggled to subtract an editable poly, which was basically a box with a rounded top and bottom, however i had no troubles subtracting a standard cylinder?

Yes, boolean can subtract any object from any other object, but you need edges on your objects though. A box has no edges other than at the corners, which is probably why you were having trouble, but a cylinder has lots of edges running around it's diameter. If you're going to boolean two objects, it's best to add edges to each object that align with each other.

Just to add to this, is it bad to have the edges form triangles as opposed to squares once i have connected verticies etc from the resulting hole that has been created?

Or does it make no difference?

Generally triangles are bad because they can cause problems when you apply a smoothing modifier. But it all depends on where the triangle is located on the model. If it's in a flat area it should be ok, but if it's near a corner or an area where the surface direction changes, that could cause a problem. I always try to avoid triangles as much as possible.