Using Text Field, Linked Between Layouts

mong0038

Hi, CAD noob here.

I use AutoCAD MEP 2013 and am trying to get some sort of text field that is linked to other text fields for our title block at my work. So, when we type in the project number, the project number updates across all paper space tabs. Same for Drawn By initials, Checked By, etc.

Can anyone help with this? I have been looking into text fields but when I put one in and try to edit it (double click, select) it just deletes the field when I try to type into it. I guess I just don't know how to use text fields and have never been trained.

Would greatly appreciate the help, I have spent hours on this with no success.

Thank you

A method I use is to have a title block that only has information for that one layout things like scale and drawing description. The title block part has the same proportions for all my different sized sheets, then I add a viewport that is the same size as my title block and point it at an attributed block in model space. Because it is a viewport you can set the scale if your title blocks differ in size between say A4 and A0.

The attributed block in model space has all the text that relates to the whole project, things like Clients Details and job numbers, that way you only need update the information once in model space.

steven-g, that is an extremely clever work around.

Since my post, I have discovered the project navigation menu, though, and now (thanks to youtube) have figured out how to add fields that are project or sheet specific. I recomend you check it out as well, the video that helped me the most was here

and it is full of useful info. Things like the project number, name, etc., things that are same for all sheets, are under the currentsheetset category and you can set those once for the project. These fields can be on different drawings as well, if you have several CAD files. Fields that are more sheet specific, like the sheet name, are under the currentsheet category. That field can update based on the sheet name (very handy).

So, I suppose I answered my own question. steven-g, let me know if you need help with the project navigation and their associated fields. Thank you for your answer as well, because it does sound a lot easier than what I'm doing, but if this works I'll try to keep using it.

Sheet sets :oops: That is something that I keep seeing and running away from, I should really look into it, That video is well presented.

Type in DWGPROPS, go to the custom tabe, here you can create custom properties (Job No., Drawn By etc), in your title block create MTEXT, right click, insert a field and under all you should see the custom properties you created. If you save this into your template file you can easily modify these quite quickly and easily.

DWGPROPS works great. Sheet Sets works great too. Also, there's a method I've been using for years..... just for the need for a single DWG file with multiple Layout tabs. Old video but still applies.... HTH's: