How to create details in MEP

nestly

In AutoCAD, it's extremely easy to create details of assembled parts from the 3D model (below left) by using either FLATSHOT or Drawing Views (below right). Neither of these tools appear to work on AEC content, so what are the options to convert the MEP parts/equipment into 3 or 4 isometric views that can be dimensioned and shared?

detail.jpg

Two ways to do this: AMEP way, or the standard AutoCAD way.

AutoCAD MEP way:

Home Tab > Section & Elevation Panel > Vertical Section. Use the prompts to place the line and boundary box. Once it's complete, select the section line and in the Ribbon, choose "Generate Section". When the dialog box comes up, select the components you want to be viewed and complete the command, which will place a dynamically linked block at the origin. Place these anywhere you need in the drawing space to organize. Notice this isn't a static block... you can select this block and right-click, giving you regenerate and refresh options.

This is useful, but can be daunting and can do a really crappy job sometimes. This is one of those areas when compared to Revit, AutoCAD fails miserably at, and Revit shines like a baby's smile.

AutoCAD way:

Application Button > Export > AutoCAD > . Exporting the model as a standard AutoCAD file will run the AEC Object Explode tool and convert all AEC Objects to Solids. One caveat.... you must be in a 3D View for this to happen. If not, it'll "flatten" the objects as 2D linework. So with this option, you can then run FLATSHOT and it works.

My opinion:

I've used FLATSHOT when I reeeeally want a good detail, that I want to add to or edit. For the most part, the AMEP Section tools work great, but you'll realize how badly they just do NOT work in your favor. Don't even get me started on comparing this tool to Revit. I guess my stance is towards Autodesk... if you're going to do something, then do it right. The Section tools are sub-par at best, but I guess that's my OCD talking... I like my drawings veeeery clean and crisp.

Try both and see how you like it. :)

Thanks!

Even though I'm not thrilled about the extra steps, EXPORT / FLATSHOT is probably the only option because I usually want detail and flexibility that isn't available through Drawing View or Sections.

Even though I'm not thrilled about the extra steps....
*cough* Revit *cough*

....EXPORT / FLATSHOT is probably the only option because I usually want detail and flexibility that isn't available through Drawing View or Sections.
I found myself doing the same thing. It's a workaround, yes, but works better in most cases. However, like most AEC Objects, Sections are Style Based so play around with the Styles and enable/disable items you want shown and don't want shown. You can still get good results and sometimes it's a better option, with very little additional linework needed.

Either way, go with what you feel is best. Glad to help, and glad to see you digging into AMEP further.

8)