Trouble understanding Content Builder

nestly

So I worked my way through the 18 pages in Chapter10 Creating a Block-Based Multi-View Part only to lose all the work to the following error messages when clicking "Finish".

MVPart save error3.jpg

After going through the whole process of building a Block Based MVPart several more times trying to create the MVPart in different catalogs, I finally discovered that "Shared Content Path" was not pointing to the OOTB default folder. Changing it back seemed to solve the above errors, but I don't understand what the "shared content path" does, or why it would cause MVPart creation to fail.

I also fooled around for hours just trying to make a new catalog for my custom parts. Catalog editor would make the folders, but would not create the .apc file. I finally got it to work by copying a random .apc into the folder I specified for my custom catalog, adding the necessary chapters, renaming, and then deleting the source files. Surely that's not how new catalogs are supposed to be created.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get back into MVParts to edit them (ie adjust connectors or edit the 2D representations). I know I can get into the dwg files in the catalogs to edit the blocks, but how do you get back "insided" the MVPart?

MVPart save error1.jpg

MVPart save error2.jpg

Edited by nestly

Shared content path allows a cad manager to point everyone to the same catalogs instead of individuals all pointing to their individual machines. If everyone shares the same catalog the cad manager can create a part once and place it in the catalog and then everyone will have access immediately. You are probably getting the errors you received because the shared content path is pointing to a network location that you do not have write access to. This is S.O.P. in most companies.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get back into MVParts to edit them (ie adjust connectors or edit the 2D representations). I know I can get into the dwg files in the catalogs to edit the blocks, but how do you get back "insided" the MVPart?
Manage Tab > MEP Content panel > Content Builder. Or type CONTENTBUILDER at the command line. Browse the Multi-View Part Domain, and once you've selected the item you want to edit, the "Modify Part Size" becomes available. Clicking it will get you back to the MvPart Builder dialog and you can trace back to any point and make your edits as needed.

The only way to edit the 2D representation of a blockbased mvpart that you have already created is to open the mvpart directly by browsing to its location in the catalog and opening up the dwg. Then using the block editor make the changes to the 2D block. As far as I know this is the only way to modify a 2D block once it has been assigned to a part. You can of course create a new 2D block with a different name and using the method StykFacE mentions above assign the NEW 2D block in place of the original 2D block.

Thanks all

I still don't understand why I couldn't create a new catalog in a shared network folder, but if I have to make them locally and then move them to the network location, that's not totally intolerable.

...now moving on to Parametric parts... to be continued