Selecting and Deselecting (vertices, edges, polys, faces, elements)

nocturne00

Hi All! Im having an issue with selecting and deselecting of vertices, edges, boarders, etc using 1-5 on keyboard. i've been using 3dmax 2011 and had no issues, I've just upgraded to 2012.When selecting vertices, the defualt is pressing "1" , and to deselect it, press "1" again, but now when I press it again it doesnt deselect. is there a toggle/chekbox in the preferences i've missed in selecting and deselecting.Thanks in advance

When selecting vertices, the defualt is pressing "1" , and to deselect it, press "1" again, but now when I press it again it doesnt deselect.

As far as I know, that's how Studio Max has always worked. I have 2011 and if I press "1" I get vertex selection mode, "2" is edge selection mode, etc. In order to switch off the current selection mode, I just hit "6" or I switch to a different selection mode. I have never known the number keys to toggle selection mode on and off.

As far as I know, that's how Studio Max has always worked. I have 2011 and if I press "1" I get vertex selection mode, "2" is edge selection mode, etc. In order to switch off the current selection mode, I just hit "6" or I switch to a different selection mode. I have never known the number keys to toggle selection mode on and off.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. with regards to selections, after selecting for example a mesh/poly/spline, hitting "1" activates vertex selection, but Hitting "1" again deactivates vertex selection. right now it actually works with me but with splines only. Previously it has worked with polys and mesh

Its been a habit of mine since ive started using 3dmax coz it is how I get myself out of selecting an object itself.

Ok, it took me a while to figure it out, but here's your answer. Turn off the "Keyboard Shortcut Override Toggle" by clicking the button on your toolbar that looks like an up arrow.

Looks like I learned something new today. :)

Keyboard Override.jpg

Cad, You're a real life saver!!! Cant thank you enough. you dont know how many sites i've went to with so many combinations of search words at google and come up with nothing haha!

Cheers!