Adding Conduit in Isometric

Flyers28

I have a representation of a switchgear drawn in isometric. I need to draw conduit coming out of the top as well as down from the bottom maintaining the isometric view. the Conduit tool does not work.

I have attached a pdf representing what i have. the circles are where i need conduit.

Any help much appreciated

SwitchGear.pdf

scratch that. New plan, i want to use autocad MEP equipment tool to show a 3d view, but not sure how to edit the size and location of conduit entries on the predefined equipment in autocad.

If you're just learning AutoCAD MEP, my suggestion would be not to get entirely hung up on "literally" connecting the Conduit directly to the Electrical Equipment. Just run the conduit, and draw it where it meets the equipment. This will get you acquainted with running conduit in general.

Connecting the conduit only really benefits you in the association of conduit with the equipment, for instances when you need to move or relocate the switchgear. When it's all connected, everything stays tied together and makes coordination much easier. As far as I know (and I may be wrong), the Conduit isn't actually housing any circuit information. That is handled by the Circuit Manager. Conduit is only there to reserve physical space in your drawing model.

When you get comfortable with that, then start tinkering with modifying the equipment for the conduit connections per the submittals or specs. This will help you along and not get frustrated with AutoCAD MEP at the beginning of your venture with the program.

:)

Thanks for replying. My design intent is not to run cables to any particular place or equipment. I just need a graphical representation of the conduit coming out of the top and bottom of the switch gear. I would like to use autocads catalog of equipment but can not edit the size to fit my equipment. I also need to change the conduit connection points from the side to the bottom, this I believe I figured out though. I also drew up a quick simple 3d representation of the switchgear and played around with converting it to mvparts and adding conduit connection points. Having difficulty editing the conduit size once I added a connection point. Bare in mind when I say conduit here I am referring to the connection point created by making an mvpart as I know how to change the size of the physical conduit.

I hope that made sense.

Makes sense, but unfortunately there's no easy way to edit the conduit connection if you're new to AutoCAD MEP. You'd have to open the MvPart in the Content Builder, resize the conduit connection diameters there, then update the catalog. Do you know how to do this?

Switchgear is usually custom to the job so it is made for each drawing. Some sections are standard but the arrangement and the breaker sizes are always different. I think it is better to build your own. Later if you need to do detail views of electric rooms it is nice that all the work is already done, right down to the labels on the large breakers.

In my opinion they don't make connectors easy (that is another reason why I want to learn Revit). I don't have the time to put or change connectors on everything, so I usually don't. If you want to keep a 1-1/4" spacing on your conduits (screwdriver handle), and you have different size conduits in different racks, it is never ending changing the locations of your connectors in your custom trofts, j-boxes and panels. It would make life easier if they were connected, but I think it takes less time to move things individually than to place connectors.

Maybe the other trades use the solution tips, I always leave it off so I don't see all the yellow warning triangles. It was a topic in a coordination meeting once. I guess my un-connected conduit's yellow triangles were showing up as hits with the dry mechanical. The BIM manager did not have a problem, just the one trade when he would run a clash check. It was discussed on how you can change the scale to make them smaller.

I hope I don't sound like an old pro at this because I am still learning every day

Enjoy

Maybe the other trades use the solution tips, I always leave it off so I don't see all the yellow warning triangles. It was a topic in a coordination meeting once. I guess my un-connected conduit's yellow triangles were showing up as hits with the dry mechanical. The BIM manager did not have a problem, just the one trade when he would run a clash check. It was discussed on how you can change the scale to make them smaller.
You know you can turn these off, right? See here:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadmep/enu/online-help/search#WS46b90c3cb2c58cad1ef9f1dfe2b248f05-7fff.htm

Next time just turn them off before you NWCOUT. ;)

Yes I know how to turn them off, thanks. I never turn them on. I don't use connectors, it would take me to long.

OMC1S Electric Room.jpg

What you should probably do is just make a mvpart that is parametric that is nothing but a connector and a very small base. you can then attach each of your conduits to a base. Then using the OBJECTANCHORATTACH command you can anchor each of these small bases to a generic parametric switch gear that is nothing but a box. This will allow you to connect as many of these conduits to the switch gear as you like. In addition, because the mvparts that the conduits are attached to are anchored to the switchgear, when you move the switchgear, the conduits will also move to maintain their connection. This is easier than creating a custom switchgear everytime you need one.

What you should probably do is just make a mvpart that is parametric that is

nothing but a connector and a very small base. you can then attach each of your

conduits to a base. Then using the OBJECTANCHORATTACH command you can anchor each of these small bases

Great tip. I will try that.

I like the idea of the base being parametric so I can change the size and allow for different size strut and or conduit. Then I can use them to snap to trofts and cabinets.

It is hard to tell from the screen shot, but alot of those conduits are on back to back strut with another row of conduits underneath. It is alot to adjust when they are not atached.

Thanks.

And thanks StykFacE for the unistrut!

And thanks StykFacE for the unistrut!
Glad to see at least one person is getting use out of my unistrut! I felt like I really did that one right which doesn't happen often, lol.

• 1 month later...

OK here is the conduit connector plate .apc file

https://dc1.safesync.com/LMFjDWth/Conduit%20Connectors.zip?a=n9uPf6uaYwc

Here it is as an example in a dwg file

https://dc1.safesync.com/LMFjDWth/Ridged%20connectors.dwg?a=Lw7fO7wDNKo

They work great to keep the conduit aligned with a 1-1/4 space between conduits and a 1-5/8 space from the wall.

They stay connected with the conduit when the connector plate is moved , but when the connector plate is attached with an object using the OBJECTANCHORATTACH command only the plate stays attached to the object and not the conduit with the plate.

Any suggestions?

Edited by hertz hound