Handles all over the place

bustr

Anyone know how to get rid of this garbage in the attached picture? I remember when it was only Ustation that caused this grief. I guess autodesk decided to catch up

ROGUE_GRIPS.jpg

I've never experienced that in either AutoCAD or MicroStation. How did you achieve that? Can you upload the drawing and give a few more details?

The simple answer would be press the escape key a couple of times. But I guess you tried that already.

Here it is. Call it up and hit CTRL-A. All of the flotsam and jetsam will show up. If you use a window it won't show. This junk is invisible but it is there and it slows down the computer.

HANDLES.dwg

The blue handles you're having an issue with, are grip handles of the selected entities, which show when you Ctrl+A based on your other system settings.

To manipulate this functionality, simply modify the Show Grips setting of the Selection tab, in the Options dialog:

ct.options.selection.disable.grips.png

... Or look into the GRIP* System Variables as needed. :thumbsup:

.... I guess autodesk decided to catch up

What version of AutoCAD are you using?

I don't see this problem with your file in AutoCAD 2014?

What version of AutoCAD are you using?

I don't see this problem with your file in AutoCAD 2014?

Probably because GRIPOBJLIMT is set to something normal, but did you check the number of entities after selecting everything?

I'm finding 2.8K + empty block references spread out all over the place. Block Name "AE" accounts for most of them, but 57 named "NEWLAYERSETUP" which probably means something to the OP.

You have blocks that are attributes without any geometry throughout the drawing. Since the attributes don't have a value or a default value and there is no geometry associated with them they don't show. I would block out the geometry that does show and insert in a new drawing.

Thanks for all the help. I'm using AutoCAD 2011. I'm trying to avoid copying my work into a new drawing simply because this happens so often. I was hoping that autocad might have some sort of built in way to fix this.

Thanks for all the help. I'm using AutoCAD 2011. I'm trying to avoid copying my work into a new drawing simply because this happens so often. I was hoping that autocad might have some sort of built in way to fix this.

No worries; we're happy to help... err... Oh, so you didn't read anything above...?? :facepalm:

bth_ImpliedFacepalm.jpg

Yes! I could care less about the grips showing up. My problem is that there presence causes the program to run slow. My cursor doesn't move smoothly but rather jumps making it hard to select anything when the drawing is laden with this junk.

Yes! I could care less about the grips showing up. My problem is that there presence causes the program to run slow.

What I feel you may not be understanding fully, is that the grips being displayed have a direct result on the performance... Again, as the small 'bubble' information in the image I attached earlier clearly states:

... Displaying grips in a drawing significantly affects performance. Clear this option to optimize performance. (GRIPS system variable).

So move the stuff you want to keep over out of the way, Ctrl+A, remove the good stuff from the selection set, erase, move the good stuff back, continue.

Maybe that slowness can be attributed to the hardware?

I suspect this as well, and I run Civil 3D 2011 without any issue.

So move the stuff you want to keep over out of the way, Ctrl+A, remove the good stuff from the selection set, erase, move the good stuff back, continue.

Drawing maintenance is always a good practice, IMO.

I'm inclined to believe it's a procedure or practice that's causing all these empty blocks to be created in the first place. Deleting them after the fact is not proper solution, figuring out what's causing them to appear is.

I'm inclined to believe it's a procedure or practice that's causing all these empty blocks to be created in the first place. Deleting them after the fact is not proper solution, figuring out what's causing them to appear is.

I agree with you, but they're not being created on their own... This is a standards/training issue (or something inserted from 3rd party?), and not really something fixed here. So forgive the, what I felt was an, implied task... Yes, right here, right now, deleting them is of benefit to the OP... Admittedly a bandaid, and not a cure for a systemic problem (if that's what this even is?). Just saying.

Ctrl+A will select everything, including these phantom items. Holding Shift+Select everything will deselect all objects and leave the phantom objects selected. Deleting them, and running a PURGE and -PURGE with RegenApps will rid the items.

Nestly has the right idea... might need to consider a review of content (Blocks, Customized LISP Routines if any, Templates, etc).