Saving back to older version?

TopLine

New to this forum, first post.

I am currently using autocad 2002. An engineering firm has sent me a dwg file that was created using a much newer version of autocad. I asked them to save it back to version 2000, so I can open it. Well, I can open the file, but I'm getting this command "ARXERROR: eNotThatKindOfClass.. whenever I do a basic command?? How do I fix this?

Now I have gotten dwg files from other firms, and they have worked flawlessly. Would it be how this particular firm has saved the file?

I have tried to open a new drawing, and xref this drawing into it, but all the linework does not show up?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• eldon

• TopLine

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They "Saved As" to 2000 format. This is not the proper way as you have found out. Get yourself a copy of Drawing TrueView, free from Autodesk, to convert the files properly. Use the original file, not the one that they saved down for you.

Thanks, guys. I actually "tried" to download Trueview this morning. I got to the part where it said I had to download Microsoft Net Framework 4.0 or greater, (or something like that), but I didn't see the download for that version?

OK, I will see if I can find it.

What is the proper way to save it back? I could ask the engineering firm to resend it, possibly.

They need to export it. ACAD MEP has a button available from the application button. I do not know the command line version for vanilla CAD.

What do you need to do with the drawing? If you are just needing to use the geometry, then what I do is to open a new drawing with my template and x-ref their drawing into it. That way, you do not get this constant "ARXERROR: eNotThatKindOfClass".

It would be kinder to you if they could export to AutoCAD 2000 for you, but some folk do not have the ability to do that :shock:

You can not do anything. It has to be done by the originating programme. DWG TrueView cannot change this behavior.

Yes, is absolutely can. That error can happen from a .dwg that was created with vanilla CAD and "Saved As" an older version. It doesn't necessarily mean that the file was created with a vertical product, just a newer one. Now if the .dwg was created with a vertical then you may be right but I have had TrueView do wonderful things for me.

We may be talking about different things. If you have the original file TrueView will convert it correctly. If you are trying to fix the corrupt file, you are probably right. In this case, the OP does have the original non-corrupted file.

I get sent original versions of drawings and after DWG TrueView's conversion I still get the "ARXERROR: eNotThatKindOfClass".

Also since a few versions ago, DWG TrueView cannot convert educational versions of a drawing.

Do you explode AEC objects when you convert? I'd like to test it out but I don't have TrueView or an old enough version of AutoCAD.

I was not aware that Dwg TrueView could explode objects.

Perhaps you could take it from me that I find there are problems. There is a message that only the originating programme can make the necessary changes, possibly by saving down to r14.

Eldon, I am a surveyor and I need to create offsets for the geometry. I have tried to the new drawing, xref thing but I don't get all the geometry in the xref for some odd reason?

I tried to download version 4.5 in microsoft net but it said my computer does not support that file.

There is a tavern in my near future.

Eldon, I am a surveyor and I need to create offsets for the geometry. I have tried to the new drawing, xref thing but I don't get all the geometry in the xref for some odd reason?

When you x-ref the drawing in, do you get any message about Proxy graphics being enabled?

If you cannot see the necessary geometry, then you must contact the originator, and possibly they will be able to Export to r2000.

I tried to download version 4.5 in microsoft net but it said my computer does not support that file.

Yes I had that problem with my old computer, but it died last year, and the new computer was more modern and was able to handle things better.