Revit OS compatibility

paulski77

Hi, a quick question, I have Revit Architecture 2012 32bit version on my existing ageing machine and will be buying a new windows 7 pc soon but not sure if I need a 32 or 64bit pc.

Can I run 32bit version on a 64bit pc?

Yes, you can run a 32-bit program on a 64-bit machine. Not sure why you would want to though. Didn't you get a DVD (or two) that had both versions on it?

I'd still recommend getting a 64-bit machine. Think future needs not just present needs.

Thanks Remark. It was a 32bit version download.

Yes 64bit pc is my preferred option but wanted the 32 and 64bit confirmation first, no point spending money on a new pc if you can't run your software on it!

Can't you request a 64-bit version?

What OS were you planning on using and what version of the OS? Example: Windows 7 Professional.

I know there are some people, most notably forum member JD Mather, that would disagree with me but I recommend the Pro version for anyone doing serious CAD work.

Windows 7 version comparison matrix can be found here...http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/do-you-need-more-than-windows-7-home-premium/1128

If you do end up having a problem running your version of 32-bit Revit then I recommend looking into a program called Longbow Converter.

I don't think it'll work. Autodesk products usually halt the install as soon as it reads what bit OS you are running. But Autodesk distributes both 32bit and 64bit installs with your product license so no worries.

Well maybe some of the vertical products exhibit that behavior but I have 32-bit versions of AutoCAD 2004, 2007, 2009, and 2010 installed on two different 64-bit computers running Win7 Pro and Ultimate. Some users have even loaded AutoCAD 2000 and in one rare instance someone reported here that they had Release 14 running for a while until one day it just up and crashed on them (that's why they came here looking for a solution). People just want to get their money's worth out of their software and will attempt to load older versions any chance they get.

Well, I know I did mention "Autodesk Products" but specifically I'm speaking of Revit. I don't think it'll work for Revit. But then again it might *shrugs*

I would not expect them to "support" Revit since they do not make an add-on for that or any other CAD program. Their software enables a user to run 32-bit programs on 64-bit systems. They don't market Longbow as a program specific product (outside of Windows) to my knowledge and why should they? Perhaps you worded the question wrong.

I remember we had some issues with trying to install 32bit Revit (due to the 64 bit version crashing all the time) - it would simply refuse to install if the OS was 64 bit. Would always stop the install with some message about OS not compatible with this version of the program. But that was quite a while back, since then the 64 bit versions have become a whole lot less finicky and I actually prefer them.

So definitely for your 2012 (or any newer version) I'd recommend installing the 64 bit. There are various reasons you'd want that, most important would be the ability to open extremely huge models causing RAM use of more than 2GB for one session of Revit (32bit would crash with an out-of-RAM-error even if you have more RAM installed).

But as stated before in this thread: the same license you used for the 32bit version is valid for the 64 bit - you just have to re-activate it, same as you would have needed to do even for a new install of the 32 bit. So all it's going to cost you extra would be the download of the 64 bit install (not always too cheap, depending on your connection speed / cost).