Block too small

Khaleesi8

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner with Autocad 2D and I have a problem with some of my imported blocks. They appeared way too small.

I've read the other post about the subject, but it didn't work for me.

I downloaded a couple of .dwg file in 2d on a manufacturer website. Then I inserted them in my drawing, and they are tiny. I've tried the trick to scale it at 25.4, but they are still a little bit too small. I've also tried to set INSUNITS to 0 or 1 and didn't change anything....

The problem seems only to appear with this company. Other blocks from other company seems fine.

Anyone has an idea of the problem?

Thank you so much

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Khaleesi8

• nestly

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you know at least one of the dimensions for this block? If you did you could calculate the necessary scale factor.

What units are you working in by the way? I'm assuming its metric right?

Hi!

Thanks for your quick answer. I'm using architectural and inches.

Yes I know the dimension of the block. But I don't know how to calculate the scale factor with the dimension... I thought you could only make it X times bigger or smaller.

So you are using imperial units but you are working with metric blocks?

Well anyway, just measure the distance of the known side and compare it to the size it should be. Example: if your measurement comes back as 4 inches but you know the true dimension is 12 inches then the scale factor you must apply would be 3. Simple math.

I believe INSUNITS only works if the block is also assigned units ie not 'unitless'

As for scaling there is no need to calculate a scale factor, just use SCALE > Reference.

If you want to post the block, and a known dimension, I'll do a video demonstration using your block/object

I have no idea if it it metric or imperial block. On the website, they give us the 2 dimension (cm and inches)

But you had a good idea and it works fine!

Thank you so much, it's been hours I try to fix this.

I was assuming the OP (an admitted beginner) was not familiar with the Reference option. Most newbies fail to pay attention to the command line after they hit that first Enter.

I believe INSUNITS only works if the block is also assigned units ie not 'unitless'

As for scaling there is no need to calculate a scale factor, just use SCALE > Reference.

If you want to post the block, and a known dimension, I'll do a video demonstration using your block/object

Hi Nestly. That would be amazing! I've never use yet the scale by reference. I just tried and it didn't work. I just post the file here?

Click "Go Advanced" at the lower right of the "Quick Reply" window, then scroll down to "Manage Attachments" When the "Manage Attachments" window opens, click "Browse" double click your file, then click "Upload File" then close the attachments window and post your message.

I'd suggest that if you are going to continue to use the assigned colors that you change you background color from black to white so you can see everything better.

The layer color has been overridden by whoever did the drawing. The layer might have color white assigned but that isn't the color you see.