MEP training. Fabrication ease.

khobart

Hi all...a few things I would appreciate some assistance on.

First-anyone take any MEP training? My company would like me as well as I would like to become more proficient at it. Above that of what online tuts can teach me. Whether online, in a classroom, or via self tuts. What has anyone used to master MEP? I can draft just fine with it, but I know there's got to be a way to speed my workflow up and make it more streamlined.

Fabrication...what does anyone use? (I draft for a mechanical contractor-welded steam lines, H-CW, chemical, grooved, screwed...piping in general) I downloaded a free trial of MEP Fab, however I cannot open .dwg files? Does the dwg need to be converted to something else? Is there a better program out there? Do I draft in MEP and then use a add on to create shop drawings-or do I use a different program all together from start to finish? At the moment I am creating a gazillion layers and breaking systems down into pieces for fabrication with minimal breaks for field welds. This is going to be an integral part of my role going forward. I know I can create a BOM table but it doesnt include the information I want-and includes useless info. Also when in iso view in a viewport-the table comes in an ISO view as well. I use multiple vps to show the gap (field welds) to flanges, elbows, and valves. I can't select all three to create a BOM either.

Help!:)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Aubin-Academy-Master-AutoCAD-Compatible/dp/1479338974/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375275094&sr=1-1&keywords=autocad+mep

This Book is worth every penny. You could get a copy of the 2011 for cheaper I bet if you searched for it. Runs through all the intermediate to advanced items and workflows with AutoCAD MEP.

Not only that, just stick around this board and we will all help you out. Ask any and all questions. I, for one, use Revit only nowadays but I used MEP for so long I still can offer assistance to most people who inquire about the application.

I actually have that book sitting right next to me. I haven't found the 80 or so pages relating to piping to provide much information that I hadn't already figured out. The other parts of the book haven't helped much either.

One thing is elevations. Is there anyway to create an elevation tag rather than the old school method of text with a leader, copy, paste, edit, copy, paste, edit. If such information is in there perhaps I got discouraged when it didn't jump out at me.:)

Any information on fabrication software?

I was told by my pm that Revit is geared for architectural and not so much for mechanical piping?

Have you tried CadLearning.com? I used the book mentioned and that web site to get up to speed, I am sure I could be faster. Paul Aubin is also on Lynda.com for online training. If I knew I had time I would try it for a month.

That book explains making custom tags and property sets. A search here should come up with something. I know Keith Brown has posted links on the subject. Right know I can't find them, but I came across this that should get you in the right direction http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2004/11/autodesk-architectural-desktop-tags.html . He has a lot of info.

I am torn between how much better I could get at AMEP and how much I still have to learn about Revit. I am sure one day when needed, I will make the switch, and all the AMEP knowledge will fall by the wayside. Currently I spend about two hours a day learning on my own time, and I don't have a coordination project going on. I have been in the field building the last project that was coordinated with AMEP. There was rumor that I was heading back in the office for another one but I don't know if they got the job. Sometimes it can take a year to negotiate.

One thing is elevations. Is there anyway to create an elevation tag rather than the old school method of text with a leader, copy, paste, edit, copy, paste, edit. If such information is in there perhaps I got discouraged when it didn't jump out at me.
I always used Live Sections so I could tag things either, rather than trying to tag a 2D Elevation that was generated from the Section tool, because you can't. I do remember Keith Brown having some type of work around that did in fact work.

I was told by my pm that Revit is geared for architectural and not so much for mechanical piping?
Who told you that? IF Revit isn't geared for mechanical piping, then why is there an MEP version of Revit? :P

Okay, all joking aside, Revit isn't geared for the contractor in mind. Things like fittings and taps and other duct/pipe accessories aren't based on industry standard catalog parts. AutoCAD MEP, fortunately, does in most cases, and where it doesn't you can edit or add your own content. Revit has the engineer in mind. But man I sure looooove Revit for building and construction design, modeling and most certainly BIM. It does take some getting used to when you're an AutoCAD background.

I am torn between how much better I could get at AMEP and how much I still have to learn about Revit. I am sure one day when needed, I will make the switch, and all the AMEP knowledge will fall by the wayside.
AutoCAD MEP resembles Revit a lot in principle, so you'll be fine. I haven't touched AutoCAD MEP in years for any production work, and when I open it up from time to time I still am very proficient with it.

Is there no alternative out there that doesn't cost $9000? Plus a $1350 yearly subscription???:x to create spool drawings?

Am I following the correct path for those without the software add on to create spool drawings? Create a ton of layers and break it down and then create sheets and bring into vps and then label?

Sure, there's alternatives. I've created lots of spool drawings before, but for field fabricators. It just depends on what's best for your true needs and that is what I'm totally unclear about.

Out of curiosity what does "bring into vps" mean?

Here is a sample piece for fabrication. I have welders and fitters out in the shop using these to pre fabricate. Each of these pieces are them assembled in the field by other fitters and welders. Minimizing amount of welds in the field and ultimately time.

VPs-viewports.

For this fab piece...I selected the pipe and fittings I wanted for the piece. I created a layer. I put all the parts onto the layer (save the flanges as they will be field welds). I then created a new sheet, a new viewport, and brought the piece into view. Then I added the dimensions and labels on paper space, including the BOM.

Now times that by 50. A painstaking process. However, this is the only way I know and have ever done it.

From what I understand, with ECC you just select the pipe and fittings you want from your whole drawing for a spool and presto..it spits out a spool drawing with all the information. Not copying. No pasting. No editing. No scaling.

BOILER ROOM FAB CW CWR10 (1).jpg